1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher SD Minute Mount 2 or HD Minute Mount 2 ?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Lady J, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Lady J

Lady J Junior Member

We just replaced our truck with a 2005 GMC Sierra 1500, 4.8L, 4x4, 8 ft. bed, automatic, with 30K miles, and are in the process of purchasing a brand new plow setup from Fisher. We can't decide between the SD or the HD model. We have 17 customers, mostly short driveways and a couple of 20 car parking lots. All are asphalt. Our concern is that we don't want to burden the new truck with the heavier HD model as the truck has no special add-ons (no heavy duty shocks or alternator), but at the same time want to get the best bang for the buck. Through Fisher QuickMatch, the truck will accept either setup.

We can't find much feedback on the SD model with the poly cutting edge and don't know how well the edge will perform and last (it costs $270 to replace vs. $102 for a steel edge). The difference in price between the models is minor ($250).

Any advice you can give us would greatly appreciated. Thanks, guys.

2. rich0807

rich0807 Junior Member
    from Maine

I bought new new LD last year (same thing as this years SD) I wouldn't be afraid of doing a few driveways with it, but I'm not sure it would stand up well to 20 driveways all winter long for any great length of time.

3. Lady J

Lady J Junior Member

Are you pleased with the LD? How does the polymer blade wear?
    We live in an area of Massachusetts that gets maybe 6 or 8 storms per winter. Last year there were only 4.

4. rich0807

rich0807 Junior Member
    from Maine

I'm very pleased with it. I plow only two driveways with it. Got the plow halfway thru the winter and have only knocked a "small corner" off the poly blade so far - very minimal to me. Both driveways are gravel and had a pretty good coating of ice before I started plowing with it, so not a lot of reason for wear yet. Early this winter season may lead to faster wear - not sure. I think when the poly blade is worn I'll go with the steel blade for wear and added weight as the plow is a little light for holding itself down to the ground - tends to bounce easily.