1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher SD Minute Man 2 Not working

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by dirtymartini, Nov 26, 2013.

1. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

OK, I just bought this truck in late August, it's a 2004 Chevy 2500HD with a Fisher SD 7' 6" plow with a Minute Man 2 Mount. The Plow worked when I brought it home...now that we had our first snow it worked for one pass on my driveway, when I went to raise it at the end of the driveway it wouldn't raise or angle. I could hear what I think is the motor running but no movement of the plow.

Any help? This is my first Fisher plow....

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Start with bumper connections, especially the 3 pin connector for the control harness. Does the pump sound like it is free wheeling or under a load?

3. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

Sounds like it's free-wheeling.

4. kimber750

Check fluid level to start. Then check for magnetism at the valves. If all the this checks out the pickup tube may have fallen off.

5. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

Thanks for the quick replies...I'll check the fluid level tomorrow when I have some light. Are there manuals available on Fisher's website?

6. kimber750

7. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

Thanks for the link, after looking through the troubleshooting chart briefly my guess is that pickup tube or low fluid like you mentioned.

I can hear the pump run when I try to lift the plow or angle either way so I would assume the solenoids are at least getting energized?

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I can hear the pump run when I try to lift the plow or angle either way so I would assume the solenoids are at least getting energized?

no don't assume you are, test don't guess. im leaning with kimber here the pickup tube issue. drain fluid, remove the 4 5/16----8mm bolts from the canister light tapping and itll come off
    other issues that have come up are, broken gears in the pump, and I thought I read somewhere about a broken pump shaft?

9. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

My apologies...I failed to use the KISS theory before I asked for help. When I got home from work today I still had enough daylight left to check the fluid level.

I found the owner's manual on the Fisher website and saw the level was low. I added almost a quart!!!

I bought the truck in late August and it worked when I brought it home. I haven't noticed any fluid on the ground from where it was sitting since i brought it home...maybe the last time it was drained and refilled they didn't add enough?

If nothing else I re-discovered this site with all it's helpful info. And next time I'll remember to "KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!"

Thanks for all the help!

10. dieselss

Really. That was it. Low on fluid?

11. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

I put almost a quart of fluid in the reservoir...I don't know how it worked the couple times I tried it when I bought the truck. And I haven't found any leaks.

12. dieselss

Ok. Cool.

13. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

Update!

It was really bothering me that I put over a quart of fluid in the reservoir and hadn't seen any leaks...I decided to check the fluid level again. This time it cam POURING out when I pulled the level plug. I then realized that the plow must have been angled when I checked it last time:eek:

I drained the reservoir and as had been suggested pulled the reservoir cover. Sure enough there was the pickup tube laying in the bottom. I pushed the tube back in, put the reservoir cover back on and re-filled the fluid.

Its working like a charm now. Is there any kind of fix to keep the pickup tube from falling out again?

14. kimber750

Pretty sure fisher has an update kit that has a bracket to hold pickup tube on. Will see if I can get a part # tomorrow.

Found it: 66763

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  15. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

Thanks. What causes them to fall out? It took quite a bit of pressure to put it back.

16. dieselss

Psi. Jarring. Hitting. It's common. That's why theres an updated part

17. kimber750

Vibration, if you are anything like me I have my plow set to drop very quickly. This can rattle things around.

18. dieselss

Head banging plow. Yea rock on !

19. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

Thanks for the tips...I did adjust the plow to drop a little quicker. I think Ill order that updated part so I have it it case it happens again.

Now I just wish it would snow!

20. kimber750

Another tip, replace it when you get it. Plow never break at a convenient time. Cheap insurance.