1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher SD 7.6 on Dodge 2006 ram 1500

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by NDSCAR85, Feb 24, 2009.

1. NDSCAR85

NDSCAR85 Junior Member
    from NEWYORK

Wondering if this plow will work well on my dodge ram 1500 2006 quad cab...The plow weights 480#...Or if any one has any advice that would be great....thanks

2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Will work fine you can even hang the HD off the front end without a problem

3. NDSCAR85

NDSCAR85 Junior Member
    from NEWYORK

Thanks for the advice....Are u sure about the HD..Because the HD weighs over 600#....thanks

4. BigDave12768

everybody seems to run a bit over weight. Just add some Ballast to the back. Are you still in Warrranty? Plus they will never know what you put on since you wont bring plow to dealer with you

5. jakescott312

jakescott312 Junior Member

i hung a 9 foot SS x blade on my 03 ram 1500 for the storm we got yesterday and it ran mint... i plowed more snow than imaginable and the truck didnt care at all... i didnt run hot, stopped fine (even on the slick roads at 55), and the thing barely squatted... yea i turned my t-bars 5 turns before the season anyway but as far as the truck being able to handle a bigger plow than the 7' 6" rd its not a problem for the little half ton hahaha... usually i run a 7' 6" hd but i had the chance to try it an it was fine... i know ill hear a lot of flack about this but hey, i ran it, it worked, i didnt get pinched for overweight and the plow is off... just wanted to tell you that it can be done! wesport

6. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

A fisher SD will be fine, but if you get the chance I agree with everyone else you should go for the 7'6 HD blade instead.

Jakescott312 you dindt happen to get any pictures of your truck with the X blade on it did ya?

7. BigDave12768

The springs handling the weight and the wear and tear factor are 2 different things. You probably took a year of life off your front end. You couldnt do it all the time.

Clunk clunk clunk can hear you Ball joints already going

8. jakescott312

yea... i know that... i wont be running it again i just wanted to see what the half ton had in it... i put my regular blade back on but it was nice plowing with such a wide blade

i will give you some pics when i can figure it out... haha... i only have front end pics of it but i think my friend got one from the side so we'll see...

9. jakescott312

Here are some of the pics of the ram with the xblade and one with my 7' 6"

03-02-09_1646.jpg

03-02-09_1647.jpg

03-02-09_1648.jpg

03-02-09_1649.jpg

11-17-08_1431.jpg

10. NDSCAR85

NDSCAR85 Junior Member
    from NEWYORK

what plow do u run usually...how does the dodge hold up... my 06 has coil overs you think it can take a standard boss... 600 pounds

11. BigDave12768

Go to a regular cutting edge. Dont put that useless flip thing back on. I love how it cuts since I changed

12. jakescott312

my plow is the 7' 6... i always run that one... my friend just had the xblade off of his 350 superduty and we figured we'd give it a shot for the night... I know mine handles the 7' 6 good enough... im partial to fisher, mainly because around here you can get parts anywhere... i dont know about other areas but im in maine and parts are easily accessible around here... if the boss is 600 pounds id say your truck will do fine... if its the 5.7 the only thing you'll be worried about will be the 6-8 mpg that you'll get...

what do you mean by going to the regular cutting edge, what is the useless flip thing?

13. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Yah, what useless flip thing are you talking about?

14. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

In the last pic with your 7 1/2 footer on the truck...do you have your wear shoes set real low or something? There seems to be a pretty good sized gap between the pavement and the cutting edge! The truck looks good with that 9footer on there! =]

15. jakescott312

i dont run shoes on that plow....i dont know why it would sit like that

16. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Spot the plow is down on isnt level.