1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher raise/lower speed adustment

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Orange58Crush, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Orange58Crush

Orange58Crush Junior Member

Hey all, I'm new here and to owning a plow, although I've been operating another guy's rigs for a handful of years. This is a newbie question, for sure, so I hope I have it in the correct forum.

I recently bought a vehicle with an 8' Fisher straight blade on it, and the lift cylinder is very slow in down/float. I'm hoping there's an adjustment I can make on it to speed it up. The raise speed is perfect.

A) Is there an adjustment for the down speed? If yes, where will I find it?
    B) My route is very small, 15 customers, and I'm expecting about a half dozen snowfalls this season (hahaha, I'm not a weatherman). How often should a guy flush the pump/reservoir?
    C) This plow has a brand new cutting edge. The truck end of the push frame has 3 vertical mounting holes. In order to get maximum life out of the cutting edge, I assume I should start with the top hole and work down as the cutting edge wears, is that correct? Or is there a different reason/purpose for the three holes?

Thanks in advance for any assistance/insights/suggestions! :gunsfiring::yow!:

2. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

there is what looks like a set screw by the motor that will adjust the drop speed. Change the fluid every year. Since you just bought drain it and take the tank off check the filters and the inside of the tank for crap then put fresh fluid in. We always ran the plows in the bottom hole so the plow is more angled foward. Havent had any problems

3. Orange58Crush

Thanks! I'll try to find a blown up illustration so I know how to disassemble it. There aren't any markings/plates identifying the pump/tank.

4. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

could you post a pic of the system so i could help you better?

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Purpose of the 3 holes is to make sure A frame is level. If it is not level you will wear cutting edge prematurely. So with plow on the truck, proper ballast in the bed set A frame so it is level with the ground.

6. Orange58Crush

A frame angle

Thanks! I'll eyeball that.