1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Question

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by captfudd, Oct 27, 2007.

1. captfudd

captfudd Member

I am looking to add another vehicle to my fleet, I have always had meyers plows but the truck I am currnetly looking to purchase has the Fisher set up with the unde hood hydrualics. I dont know much about this type of set up so if anyone can tell me the good the bad etc.

TY

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

What kind of truck? They stopped making that quite a few years ago....you would either have to find the setup (ebay, craigslist, etc.) if you bought an older truck (mid 90's or ealier), or you would have to custom fab up some mounts and other parts to make an older system work in a newer truck.

If you can make it work, those systems are indestructible and are probably one of the best, most reliable plow systems ever made!

3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Long time Fisher users have known how well traditional mount, under-hood hyrdraulics worked for years before the introduction of electric components. I had absolutely NO problems or complaints with the earlier Fishers on my trucks in the early & mid 90's, nor from the '76 Chevy I grew up in. They're slower at an idle than the electric, but there's so little concern about hydraulics freezing in a toasty warm engine compartment. Also appealing from my perspective was the simplicity of belts & hoses you have full access to. Throw on a new pump belt & replace the lift & angle hoses and you should be in business for quite a while. Also make sure the fluid reservoir for the pump is fresh & full (uses ATF). Best of luck!

~Kevin

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

It might be one of mine if its a newer truck.

All I will say is it is the best system ever for plowing controls. Super reliable.

I buy the systems still off ebay and such and have done about 50 trucks since 2000 mostly newer models (95+). Just finished and 08 Chevy. Guys are willing to pay for the quality and reliability, something I have not been able to get Fisher to see.

5. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Flipper have you ever done a 04 F250 with the 5.4? Is it hard?

6. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

Underhood hydraulic setups are by far the most reliable setups i've ever had. In 15 years of comercial plowing i've probably had 10 trucks with this setup (i'm currently running 2 trucks with belt driven pumps) and i've never suffered a hydraulic failure. Like all mechanical things they do eventually wear out but i've always had plenty of warning before any major disasters (weak pump pressure or a noisy bearing). I would not be afraid to buy a truck with this setup. Good luck,Roy

7. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Yup done alot of the 5.4 in the Super Duties Lots more room with the gas motor then the diesel. I'll try to dig up my pictures. I know I have notes along with bracket drawings.

8. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Thanks Flipper, I look forward to it.

9. captfudd

captfudd Member

Thanks you everyone for the information, sounds like a quality set up I have to go back and look at the truck a second time its a 97 dodge 2500.