1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fisher push plates

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ArmyJeep19, Jan 4, 2012.

1. ArmyJeep19

ArmyJeep19 Junior Member
    from 02465

hey guys i am new to the forum, i just purchased push plates for my 2007 jeep unlimited sahara. Do you guys install the push plates yourself or have a mechanic do it? How difficult is it to install them thanks.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Better question is how mechanically inclined are you? If you can't change your own oil, don't attempt to install the push plates. If you can replace your own clutch, by all means have at it.

They are not overly difficult to install for people that have some mechanical ability. So really it comes down to if you are comfortable tackling this task. :mechanic:

Me, I don't see anything difficult about installing push plates, drilling the holes can be a pain at times, but for the most part it is just turn wrenches.

3. ArmyJeep19

ArmyJeep19 Junior Member
    from 02465

im fairly mechanically inclined, i can easily screw things together. But is the drilling part always nessesary to install push plates?

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Drilling is rare....let me take that back, it's VERY rare. Especially on newer vehicles. They've worked pretty hard to make them as simple as possible to install. In the box, there is a set of install instructions. If you can turn a wrench, and follow directions, your good to go.

5. ArmyJeep19

ArmyJeep19 Junior Member
    from 02465

great ill give it a try thanks for the help

6. kimber750

Helped my local shop on a wrangler install couple weeks ago. If I remember correct 4 holes had to be drilled. Think the jeep was an 08. My F350 needed 6 or 8 holes drilled. Just make sure you have good drill bits and you will be fine, like repo said, follow the instructions.

7. ArmyJeep19

ArmyJeep19 Junior Member
    from 02465

Was the jeep push plates the correct ones or were they for a different vehicle made to fit on the jeep?

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

What year F-350 was that? Unless it was previous to 96, I highly doubt that he had the right plates for it.

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

I double checked your mounts, both the HT and the Homesteader style plates require 1 - 17/32 hole be drilled on each side.

The plates are made for your vehicle specifically, the issue is stability and what is available for holes on your specific vehicle. They (Fisher Engineers) have to design the mounts in a way that they'll stand up to what the plow throws at them, without damaging the vehicle that they're attached to.

10. kimber750

2002. Just looked at instructions again, it was 6 holes that had to be drilled. 2 on each side at the front of mount and 1 each side at the rear of the mount.

11. RepoMan207

from Maine

Wasn't the 02 the same body style up to 06?

12. kimber750

Pretty much, minor differences but the 06 has coil springs, mine has leaf springs.

edit

Just noticed you were talking about the homesteader. I have never installed one of them yet, only the MM2. Did a 2012 suburban today that a guy is transferring a Meyer plow to, that sucked. Also really don't understand why Meyer still uses to separate modules still.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  13. RepoMan207

from Maine

Yup, different body styles.....I've done a 97, and 03, 2 -- 05, and seen an 06, and my 08...none needed drilling. Apparently the 99-02 was different.

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

Yeah, that must be the factor then. Learn something new everyday.

15. kimber750

Figures I would have the truck that is the biggest pain to put a mount on. :laughing:

16. ArmyJeep19

ArmyJeep19 Junior Member
    from 02465

17. RepoMan207

from Maine

That's usually my luck....lol

18. RepoMan207

from Maine

19. ArmyJeep19

ArmyJeep19 Junior Member
    from 02465

Well i dont even have a plow yet i just started off buying the push plates. I don't want a homesteader because its plastic. But the big question is with these push plates will i have to drill anything?

20. kimber750

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the HT push plates MM2 push plates?