1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Pump Oil

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by guyman, Nov 19, 2000.

1. guyman

guyman Junior Member

Great forum everybody! Getting ready for the season with my 8ft. fisher. 2nd season and I have changed the oil according to the manual. Problem is the oil I got at the local fisher dealer is clear where as it was red in the pump. Should I bleed the whose system? This was a new plow last yr. The dealer told me now that I am using the clear I have to continue with it. thanks.
  2. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

The reason the oil was red before was who ever filled it took the cheap way out and used ATF. You need to flush the entire system. Chucks web site has a procedure for flushing the system. Be careful when you drain or fill the resivior you need to slowly take out the plugs to allow the pressure inside to vent off. If you don't you make quite the mess.
  3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Just so you know, atf is what is recommended in the manual, but if you are replacing the fluid with fisher hydro, make sure that you empty the swing cylinders as well. The easiest way is to follow chucks preocedure.
  4. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

If the plow is an electric/hydro setup use the clear(low temp) fluid.

If it is an older style with an engine driven pump use ATF fluid. Reason for ATF on old style is the fluid gets hot from constant running, and the ATF doesn't break down.

BTW...Got this info from a Fisher factory tech.

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

My electro/hydro Fisher manual recommended ATF-so did the dealer I visited 3 weeks ago, he says he seen too many pump failures using the SAM oil, never had a pump failure using plain ol' Type A ATF.
  6. guyman

guyman Junior Member

fisher oil

Thanks everybody,
    Its a good thing I asked about this, I haven't used the plow since I drained and filled the pump. would any damage have accured? since i haven't cycled the pump could I drain the pump and go back to ATF? I live up here in Maine and like everbody here Im hoping for lots of snow! Another tidbit of info though, My plow was installed up in rockland where they make them. If their putting Atf in there !!?!?
  7. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Good info on the ATF fluid. The tech guy I had spoke with told me the ATF was better in the old style. The low temp fluid is thinner, and results in slower operation of the hydraulics.

Benefit of the "Fisher" fluid is I believe it has additives to avoid freezing up in the pump, since most electric/hydros are mounted out in front. The underhood pumps stay warm from engine heat.

I know that a large food dist. near me has a LARGE freezer building. The inside temp is about -10F. They replace the hydro fluid in the forklifts with the "low temp" stuff(blue). This is because the normal fluid "coagulates" from the cold temps, and doesn't work properly.

Aircraft hydraulics use the same cold temp fluids also.

8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

I should probably have tempered my response with, around here the temp rarely gets below 0F for any length of time, actually it usually warms up when it snows. I have never had to use my plow when its under 5F, it was very slow to start but within several minutes of operation the fluid warms up sufficiently to make the cycle speed bearable. Outfront electrohydraulic system.

For consistent sub-zero temps I would use some sort of low-temp fluid, probably the Fisher oil, the dealer concern was with the low-temp oil sold under the S.A.M brand by various retailers.
  9. newtosnow

newtosnow Junior Member

I switched from ATF to TDH Tractor oil, in the ol' beltdrive Fisher setup. It doesnt "foam" up like ATF, and doesnt seem to break down, like normal Hyd. fluid would. Ddefinitely speeds things up CONSIDERABLY!!!