1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher pump belt question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by skmodmsl, Feb 6, 2004.

1. skmodmsl

skmodmsl Member

Been having belt troubles lately and have a question. The truck is an 86 F-150 with a 300 six. I have the old belt driven pump set-up. The current belt is a 25/64" width belt. I have plenty of belt tension however as the route goes on the plow gets slower and slower. I have to rev the engine up a "lot" to raise/angle the blade. The belt is good and tight but squeals. Should I be running a 1/2" width belt ?

Note- When truck is "cold" as in first starting it up to plow, the plow raises and angles perfect on high idle. But after the truck is warm as I mentioned I have to rev the heck out of the motor to raise/angle the plow.

Also the pump is on the "noisey" side. Sounds similiar to a tired P/S pump. I purchased this plow used as a "reconditioned unit" from a fellow who sells them as a side business. I am using Dexron ATF for fluid as reccomended by both the seller and the local Fisher dealer.

Any ideas are truely welcome.

2. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

ATF cold = Thick fluid
    ATF hot = Thin fluid

Thick pumps better than thin in the Fisher pump so as the truck and the oil warm up the fluid gets thinner and the pump becomes less efficient. Oil by passes and does not pump through as well and the volume and pressure decrease.

Options are:
    Smaller pulley Est cost $35 ( gets you by for a little while )

New pump unit Est cost $250 ( recommend flushing the system completely when replacing pump) ( will get you by for quite a while but will fail also )

Electric over hydraulic under hood replacement for the full hydraulic pump and control update. Est cost $300- $1000 depending on quality of pump unit ( speed is faster than hyd with your foot to the floor ) ( again flush the system ) ( Electric drain but worth it in my opinion )

Or Deal with it.

Jerre

3. MSC

MSC Member

Are you using a regular black rubber v-belt or are you using a green colored belt?
    I have found that the green ones tend to work better on plow pumps.
    As far as fliud, have you tried using hydraulic oil?
    I found that it tends to thin out a little less that Dexron when plowing for a long time.
    Just my 2 cents.

Rich

4. Malikenya

Malikenya Junior Member

New to the forum and "new" to plowing (grew up around it).

My father just salvaged an old fisher with a similar issue...
    -under-hood are know for getting hot and doggy
    -under-hood pumps tend to burn up (most new setups are electric and outside)

There have been some good suggestions but whether or not you replace the pump...change the fluid. Staying with ATF is fine as long as you go synthetic--i.e. AMSOIL universal ATF (meets Dextron std.) has a pour point of -69, and will resist high temp degradation many times better. translation: you get that start-up performance through a much broader temperature spectrum. There are other products out there but I'm biased (Disclaimer: I am an AMSOIL dealer. This is not an advertisement only an example of a product that I have used and had good succces with). Simply by changing the fluid, we were able to get satisfactory performance out of the old pump (the previous owner never took the belt off in the summer). Its hard to pay $250 for a pump when the whole set-up was less than that.

Good Luck!

5. clueless

clueless Member
    from pa

ive got the basically the same setup as you,but when mine gets warm it doesnt slow down,stays the same.but here is the quandrie,i used hydraulic fluid in it,iso 46 wt,when it sits for a long time without use,or during the 0 degree weather it makes the pump work hard to push the fluid out of the angle cylinders and tends to make the belt squeal,which it did in my case,i thinned it with atf,a quart to the total volume of fluid.

my belt was off a international scout,it was pretty thin,tightened it up a few times,still worked quick when hot.the present belt i have is a 41 inch belt on it.it was from aliance parts,freightliner dealer,which works for me.

6. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Hydraulic belt driven pumps

Your pump is tired. Get it re-built and you will be fine. It is not necessary to burden your truck and your wallet with the expense of an electric pump system.

Hydro belt driven pumps are notoriously reliable. Have run them for years without problems.

Also, please use the manufacturer's recommended fluid for your hydro pump. Don't try to be a chemist unless you want to absorb the costs of any error after you have your pump re-built.

Hydro belt driven pumps are far and away more reliable and easier on your electrical system than any other pump system. I have never used an electric hydro pump and don't intend to. In the spring, I take the belt off the pulley and it extends the pump life.

7. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

So what your saying is that a new fisher blet drive will run the system at idle speed? Right now mine puts me to sleep while waiting for it to go up without reving the engine.

8. clueless

clueless Member
    from pa

mine at idle picks the plow up no problem,and angles it no problem too.

when i had the pure hydraulic fluid in it in the cold the belt squealed till i worked the system a few times,the angle was worse with the belt sqealing.

rebuild the pump,cheaper than replacing it with electric,that will run over $300 at least,plus the strain on the electrical system,including the battery.

i use an electric one at work,just cant get used to the pad,shifting while working the pad is a royal pain in the a!mine on the bronco is the best for what i do with it.

9. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

I guess my 1986 pump is need of replacement finally, oh well only $195.00.

10. clueless

clueless Member
    from pa

mine is a 79 still going strong,knock on wood!!