1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher problems.....Long post

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rtm038, Dec 7, 2003.

1. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Hello all,
    Well I swapped my 1.5 yr. old 8' Fisher MM2 from my 2001 Dodge 2500 (Cummins) to my 2004 3500 (Cummins) and I'm having some issues that maybe someone could help me out on.

I called my local dealer the other day and inquired what it would take to complete the swap. He said a new vehicle mount and simply reconfigure the #3 & #4 wire harnesses to work with HB5/9007 headlamps used on the 2003/2004 HD Rams (2001 Dodges used HB1/9004 lamps). Well, I bought the new mount and installed it late on night last week. The following day I reconfigured my #3 & #4 wire harnesses to work with the new 9007 headlamps. I wired and installed the hole set-up and everything worked (plow hydraulics, plow lights, etc.), except the left side headlamps wouldn't come (plow sites and vehicle lights). However the left side turn signals and marker lights worked and the right side headlamps/turn/marker lights worked. So i got to reading the installation manual title "Isolation Module Electrical System", and found a side note regarding "Positive" & "Negative" headlight commons and related "Plug Configuration". Within this section, there is a section in bold type that states that if you don't know what type of configuration your vehicle has, configure the plug for a "Negative" set-up. In addition, it says that after configuring for a "Negative" common, if the driver side headlight does not work, reconfigure for a "Positive" common. Well, this was basically what was going on with my truck, so I inspected the plug and found it was already configured for a "Positive" common. So I reconfigured for a "Negative" common and now all the lights work with only 1 problem. When you turn the marker lights on, the right side plow turn signal illuminates (doesn't flash) and when you move the turn signal stick to the "right turn" position or the turn on the hazards, the right side plow marker/turn signal bulbs remain on and don't flash. Simply stays illuminated.

If anyone has any ideas before I run the truck down to the local Fisher dealer, I'd appreciate it. Sorry such a long post.

Ryan

2. phoenix827

phoenix827 Member

Try a heavy duty flasher? I just got mine mounted up. (older fisher on a s10) and had the same blinker problem. right didn't blink @ all. left blinked real fast, swapped in a heavy duty flasher and the both work fine.

3. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Thanks for the reply. I thought about using a more HD blinker, but the left turn signals flash normally, so I'm not sure if that would be causing the problem. Could always give it a shot though.

Thanks again,
    Ryan

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Check to make sure that your purple wire is tapped into the vehicle turn wire behind the headlights.

5. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

That should be a posotive common,on the configuration plug there should be a white plastic "lock" if the lock is missing the wires may back out when plugged in which would cause the driver side light to be out,reconfigure to a "posotive" and double check your connections in the plug.

6. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

I figure it should be a positive common simply due to the fact that my 2001 was a positive common and why would change the design. I'll give it a try and see what happens. The thing that gets me is that I'm almost 110% positive that the lights were hooked right before I changed the configuration plug.

Thanks,
    Ryan

7. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

O.K. Went out to the truck and reconfigured for a "Positive" common and back to where I was before...no d/s headlight. Here is what is going on with the truck set-up w/ this configuration:

Plow on truck:
    1. No plow low beam (right or left)
    2. Plow high beam works (right and left)
    3. No truck or plow hazard lights (right or left)
    4. No truck or plow marker lights (right or left)
    5. No no truck or plow turn signals (right or left)

Plow off truck:
    1. No d/s low beam
    2. Marker lights work
    3. D/S & P/S turn signals work
    4. D/S & P/S hazard lights work
    5. D/S & P/S hi beams work

The other thing I've noticed is the color of the wires used on the #1 control wire harness is different than the colors illustrated on a recently update wiring schematic I found on Fisher's website. I don't know if this makes a difference, but I figured I'd post the differences below for review.

1. My #1 wire harness:
    Slot A: Empty
    Slot B: Empty
    Slot C: Red===========> Switched accessory
    Slot D: Red/Yellow stripe==> Cab controller power
    Slot E: Empty
    Slot F: Red/Black stripe===> 15 Amp p/t fuse
    Slot G: Red/White stripe==> 7.5 Amp control fuse
    Slot H: Blue===========> Configuration plug
    Slot I: Blue/Red stripe====> Configuration plug
    Slot J: Blue/White=======> Configuration plug

2. #1 Wire harness schematic (provided by Fishers website):
    Slot A: Empty
    Slot B: Empty
    Slot C: Red===========> Switched accessory
    Slot D: Red===========> Cab controller power
    Slot E: Empty
    Slot F: Red===========> 15 Amp p/t fuse
    Slot G: Red===========> 7.5 Amp control fuse
    Slot H: Red===========> Configuration plug
    Slot I: Brown/Green stripe=> Configuration plug
    Slot J: Brown/Red stripe===> Configuration plug

Thanks everyone for the help. I'll probably have to take it to the dealer and have him look at it. I figured maybe I could find the problem myself, make the repair and avoid the trip.

Ryan

8. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

O.K. Went out today and checked over the wiring. Like a knucklehead, I spliced the right side plow turn signal with the right side vehicle marker lamp wire. This corrected the right side marker/turn signal problem. After speaking to a mechanic friend, I decided to leave the configuration plug set up for a "Negative" common since the new Rams use a Negative common headlight set-up. Everything is fine now w/ no problems. Thanks everyone for the help.

Ryan

9. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Ryan,

How do you like the 04 compared to the 01???

Dave

10. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Awesome Davo. Truck plowed like a champ. The 2001 was no slouch either, but the 2004 is definitely a nice truck to plow with.

Ryan