1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fisher problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by trashman, Jun 19, 2004.

1. trashman

trashman Junior Member
    from Vermont

hey guys. I have a fisher min mount plow and seem to be having a hard time collapsing the cylinder that lifts the plow. I need to lower it to get some slack on the chain.I have tried everything I can think of to get it to come down.The plow is on the ground and I need the cylinder to come down 4-5 inches.
    Any help you folks could give me would be great.
  2. snoking

snoking Senior Member

i hate to say it but we have some cylinders that stick too.......

make sure your controler is on and in down position....then try to push it down......ill never admit this but we end up using a sledge hammer to get it down farther......
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Before using a sledge or something with similar force, make sure you're in "float" mode. Usually this just means holding the "down arrow" for a couple of seconds. Mine acts like you're describing once in a while and that'll be it.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2004
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I just happened to think of something else. This may seem like "stating the obvious" but while you're raising or lowering the plow and the cylinder, the truck needs to be running (or at least on) and the harness connected.
  5. North Country

North Country Senior Member

If nothing else works - Unhook the hydraulic line for the vertical cylinder and have someone push down on the plate while you push the bearing in at the end of the line. You will get some fluid on the ground but it will release the pressure and allow the cylinder to compress.

Just remember to check your fluid reservoir level to make sure you aren’t bleeding to much fluid from the pump. - michael

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

My MM sometimes does that when not in Float mode. Be sure the control is powered but please DON"T USE THE SLEDGE HAMMER IDEA! Good luck!
  7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

what about going to lower spot in the ground maybe it will float down

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I like that one! :p
  9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

hey it worked with a brand new western
  10. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

Try backing off the packing nut a turn or two and spraying some sort of lube or Penetrating oil. Raise the plow a few times to work the oil in and retighten the same amount of turns. What you are experiencing is typical dry packing. If this does not work then you will need to replace the packing.
  11. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

Instead of the giant hammer....try using like a 3' pry bar, it tends to be more forgiving then the BFH. If you dont have any luck with the packing you can back off the nut a little, maybe 1/2 turn and get some more life out of it before you replace it.
  12. DJC

DJC Senior Member

we ended up doing the same thing for 5 years. O well, going with the Blizzard this year....
  13. trashman

trashman Junior Member
    from Vermont

Hey Now
    Just wanted to thank you guys for the help. I loosened the nut on the cyl and it worked like a charm. Thanks again for the help.
  14. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

when mine used to do this i would go up first, it would seem to loosen the lift cylinder and then would drop right down.
  15. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

I too have a Fisher Minute Mount plow. You definitely need to be in "float" mode. Once in "float" mode you should be able to push down the cylinder.
  16. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

I have my box setup so it is mounted vertically to my dash. I am usually by myself so I put a bunch of weight in my hat and hang it on the lever to keep it in down position. Then I go to the front of the truck and push the chains towards the truck and this sucks the piston down.

A buddy of mine with a fishstik takes it with him to the front of the truck and does the same chain trick, hope it works for you.