1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Pro Caster

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gmlcinc, Dec 2, 2011.

1. gmlcinc

gmlcinc Junior Member

I switched to a v box this year and got the pro caster. I thought there was a way to open a chute and quickly off load the salt at the end of the day, but I'm not seeing anything on this box. What do you guys do? Leave them filled or empty them out and is there a way on this pro caster?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Without a pic, it's hard to say for your unit specifically. They should have a gate on the back wall, operated by a handle on the drivers side. Pulling the handle down would open the gate wide.

Did you buy it new or used.

Leaving salt/sand in a spreader is never a good idea.

3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

There is a gate on both versions of the poly caster, if you open it up all the way and throw it on full blast it should empty out pretty fast. If you post a picture of the back end I can point it out for you.

4. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

AMEN to that!!!

Post a pic we will be able to help you out better.

5. gmlcinc

gmlcinc Junior Member

Yes it was a used unit that i bought but it's in pretty good shape it wasn't used much. Ok I will post a pic. It has a gate that I can open but I just wasn't sure if there was a way to empty it without running the spinner..

We are having some problems with it now. It worked fine the first time we used it and then I went to spread a couple days later and it only wants to run the conveyor chain that pulls the salt out for a couple seconds at a time. It looks like it may have a few links that are getting froze up. So we are going to change the belt to the clutch (it got burned up pretty bad) and try to get it emptied out and oil the chain up today and see what happens..

6. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

A shovel? If you dont have a salt pile to back up to make a little plywood box you can back into with three sides(i guess it isnt actually a box:dizzy:) The salt will stay in that confined area. back in and turn it up with the gate open.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Give the bed chain a good dousing with something that is a good penetrant/highly detergent. ATF would work well. Soak it down, let it sit for a few days.

8. gmlcinc

gmlcinc Junior Member

Well here are some pics but we got it working for now. I have a salt storage shed we emptied it in but thats a pain in the butt! Can't wait to switch to the hydraulic unit next year over this gas engine tho and I think I"ll be looking for one with a setup easier for unloading.

2011-12-03_12-05-33_287.jpg

2011-12-03_12-05-21_174.jpg