1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fisher poly salter question

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Sealer People, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

HI everyone & thanks in advance for your replies.

I have a 4 year old fisher polycaster salter. 1.5 cubic yard.
    The motor was replaced last season & although the unit hasnt been installed on my truck yet everything looks pretty good excpet for one thing.

There are 2 sprockets, one small one connected to the motor & the other which is larger.
    The larger sprocket which also turns or drives the belt, seems like its seized.

The small spocket on the motor side moves freely but the larger one doesnt.

Again nothings been connected as of yet, but Im wondering if anyone knows whether they should both be free

The unit has been sitting indoors all summer.

2. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

I have dealt with this in the past with mine. The larger wheel should spin freely if not look at the shaft and see what is plugging it up. The sprocket on the motor does not turn unless you power up the unit with the chain on. I got tired of all this "frozen" up stuff come fall so know I disassemble as many things as possible in the spring. The chain, latches etc go in a bucket of oil all year long and when i pull them out good to go. Last power wash the hell out of the unit and grease every thing run it, and grease it. I spray white lithium on all latches, flywheels, chain to try and keep it all lubricated. Like all salters these thing just require constant cleaning or they are trash. Salt is a killer for sure.
  3. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Thanks for the reply.

You mention the sprocket on the motor shouldnt move freely & the larger one should.

LOL,,, mine is the exact opposite.

The shaft that turns the larger sprocket leads into a gear box if Im not mistaken. That same shaft also spins the spinner belt as well

Everything is seized up.