1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fisher poly caster

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by fisher guy, Dec 18, 2008.

1. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

my boss is getting one for my truck what u guys think of them 4200 installed at Salem brake and clutch ? decent spreader? anything i should know we'll be running sand/ salt mix 50/50 ease of use? maintenance? thanx guys let me know

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Excellent piece of equipment. On my second season. I had to have my motor replaced (under warranty) but you should be OK with the new generation motor. You will probably need to tighten the conveyer belt after a few uses, very easy to do. Only maintainence is to greasy the bearings occasionally. Take a minute to verify the gearbox has oil. Mine was OK, but only takes a minute to check.

3. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

thanx exactly what i was looking for

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, be sure to double check the gear box oil. I was talking to my dealer today and he's fixing one that was sold by another dealer, and the fluid was empty and not checked........

5. johnnyrusso

johnnyrusso Junior Member
    from Boston

i have the old school poly caster

how do i check for oil

thanks alot

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

There's an allen head fill plug on one of the sides of the gearbox. I'm pretty sure it's the back side. Thanks for the reminder, I need to check mine!

7. aman804

aman804 Junior Member

this will be the 4th winter with mine and i've got nothing bad to say about. it's in my 3500 srw truck. knock on wood cause the only problem i've had was that chain rusted up solid over the summer and had to replace it, besides that i can't say enough good things about it

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Me too. Some Deep Creep was the ticket to get it going this year. Really need to remember FF this year....

9. johnnyrusso

from Boston

how do i check if its actually low or not? i just took the allen on the side out and i cant get the bottom one off so i wanna just top it off what kinda oil do i put in

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Fisher specifies Mobil SHC 632 or Exxon SHP320 or equivalent. Page 19 here.

http://www.fisherplows.com/pdf/95749.03_091509.pdf

A quick search shows it has ISO viscosity index of 320. It has a Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270) of 154. That spec is just about the same as Amsoil 75-90. If you need to top it off, probably any gear oil would be fine. I would imagine synthetic would be even better.

How low is it? If it's only down a bit, I would leave it and call your Fisher dealer Monday. They'll probably say to use gear oil.

11. johnnyrusso

from Boston

i couldnt get the bottom allen off but i got the side one off and no oil came out so i figure its alil low? what should i do? i cant get the bottom allen off to drain it and were getting 10inches of snow. How can you tell if its low or not with no dip stick? what do you think?

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Use a small allen wrench or bend a piece of wire and put it in there. If it's within a half inch or so I wouldn't get too would up.

If you are really nervous you could put gear oil in like I mentioned. It would be best to get the old oil out first. Do you have a cordless impact gun? I use mine all the time for stuff like that. Usually it will pound it loose.

I would be very careful with a storm coming on Saturday night. If you strip or break something, you are done.

13. rontorri

rontorri Junior Member

Help

2COR517

Just got home from plowing sander worked fine the whole time. Some storms the
    Incab control blinks three times when I hit on. When this happens I gotta jump out of the truck and disconnect and reconnect the harness a few times and it will reset and work fine.
    I have disconnected and reconnected the harness repeatedly and its not working.

I have replaced the module 2 times so I dont think its that again. My guess is (1) when I got home tonight I put in some gear oil and topped it off like you instructed. When I put the allen nut back on it didnt go on as smoothly as it did when I checked the level last storm when you told me how to locate the gearbox (johnnyrusso is my brothers login sorry to be confusing) or (2) if I look closely into the female connection there are 2 main holes on one I can see a metal lining but not the other. Is that normal? Did something slide out? Is there supose to be metal in both openings? Another question I have is could I have put too much oil in? Would 2 much oil (80 W90) bog the gears? Sorry for all the questions but maybe you could head me in the right direction so I can troubleshoot tomorrow. You seem to have much experience and I'm between a rock and a hard place.

14. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

Over filling it would have no effect.. It would just gag oil or blow a seal... When the light flashes 3 time that is the code for the motor being discontected.. With the metal question maybe you have a bad harness