1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Poly Caster

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 04fordf350, Jan 19, 2016.

1. 04fordf350

04fordf350 Junior Member
    from RI

I am looking into getting a spreader before the end of the week. I have seen some good looking used poly casters but i am new to the v box spreader world. What should i look for when I go to look at the used poly casters? or should i spend a little extra and get a new one with a warranty?

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I'm a big fan of new when it comes to equipment, but money is obviously a consideration, the prices have increased significantly.

If you look at used, inspect the chain thoroughly, make sure it's been lubed regularly..look at it standing up if at all possible, open the lids and inspect the chain on both sides. Check the bearings for signs that they've been greased. if the chain is dry at all, scaling rust, signs of sand, or lack of cleaning...walk away or deduct the cost of a new chain, if it binds during operation at all, it'll throw codes and not work Wren you need it.

If you're buying truck side components...I wouldn't waste your time installing the main harness, buy new, it's expensive, $300ish, but it'll save you headaches going forward.

Spinner chute, make sure the shaft for the spinner moves easily & smooth, spin quickly, see if it's bent / offset at all. Check the spinner guard, make sure it's even, square & not making contact with the spinner in any way.

Good luck

3. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I was in the same boat as you this fall. I opted to go new because everything I saw was 3500 bucks and I got a new spreader for 5300. I didn't get a polycaster but I've bought used spreaders before and it is just a headache.
    I would go new!

4. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Same here,3500 used, got one shipped to my shop for 4100$