1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Poly-caster - upgraded?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JFon101231, Dec 3, 2015.

1. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Hi - came across a poly-caster for what seems a decent price. It is the 7ft/1.5yd version and has a belt rather than a drag chain, so I'm assuming that may be the original/gen1 version? Doing some searching lead me to this post:
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=44798

But - can anyone tell me in words for a child or a good picture or two what to look out for to confirm whether that upgrade was ever done?

Should I run away and hide from this thing? Not sure what the going price is for them with all wiring/controls...

Thanks

2. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

If it's a gen1... Mr markus has been running one for Many yrs...

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

The only way to tell if the upgrades were done is to remove the belt.
    It is all tumblers and bolts, the orig shear bolts were too weak and they upgraded them to grade 8. If you can't get your belt zip apart it's $400 for a new belt.
    The regular ag conveyer staples are not strong enough..the problem will be they changed the design and will probably be running out of parts soon.

4. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Just curious what the price is as I have been looking at used polycasters as well. I am seeing Gen 2s a few years old for 3500 or more.

5. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

I'm seeing the same exact thing as far as pricing on the newer units. I can't seem to find any units older to get an idea of what the value is/should be to know if it's worth it vs newer ones

6. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Btw this one is 2200 complete with wiring/control... thoughts?

7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I like the design of these spreaders. You really have to know your way around them to service them. I've had dealers blow up my control module cause an old school bench tester just hooked a battery to the harness to run test a new motor. Parts are always a week away.
    I see them all the time for $2k.