1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Poly Caster, single control

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by crazymike, Jan 18, 2012.

1. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I've always used dump truck tailgate spreaders, Dual controls. You can drop salt 2' wide or you can salt your walkways from the other side of the street.

I was using a truck the other day that had a poly caster, single control knob and couldn't get it to throw the salt past the sides of the truck. I looked at the online manual. How do you adjust this?

If you turn the spinner up and the rear opening adjustment, it spreads a bit wider, but it's still useless. And you tend to waste salt that way.

Can you upgrade these to dual spinner controls?

Getting out of the truck to salt walkways is dangerous, I could slip or catch cold. :p

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see anyone could consider this useful for anything but salting a lane way.

2. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I would think that to spread farther you would turn controller to highest or higher setting and close the gate some.Spinner would thow farther but gate would limit amount of material coming out even with the higher chain spead.That's how i did it when i ran a gas v-box, same principle. I run a under tailgate now with dual controls and it is nice not to have to leave truck to adjust

3. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

yeah, I tried that. But still seems to devour salt and not throw that well, nowhere near the width they advertise. I will just put it up to the electric motor and the fact it's not much more than a residential salter at 1 yard. And will never buy one for my own use.

Yes, UTG is the way to go. Full use of dump box. Easy to empty/clear.

Does your have the electronic controls for the rear wet lines? I've seen those in a few trucks and it's pretty slick. And you don't have the annoying whooshing of hydraulic lines in the cab. (which I never thought about how dangerous that could be if one broke inside your cab)

4. leigh

from CT

Bought the swenson utg electric model. My 4700 didn't have central hyd. Same unit as the hydro unit but with a 1 hp auger motor and 1/6 hp spinner.This pic was taken towards the end of a long long day! Raised bed to high and dumped over tailgate:confused:Almost died shoveling back into bed.Oh well.

029.jpg

068.jpg

5. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Lol. Don't feel bad. I think everyone has done that. My 550 the dump cable was seized and I had to get out and manually pull the lever. So many times I fell on my ass jumping out to reload

6. Pat Brigs

Pat Brigs Junior Member

Leigh - what kind of material do you run? Do you have any problem with the material not shifting back?

I too have an electric lift with a swenson tailgate spreader. I love it - except material gets sticky in bed, and I am constantly shoveling it back to auger. I am running Clearlane treated salt.

Any ideas?

7. leigh

from CT

I run straight bulk salt.If it gets wet it gets a little sticky.I usually raise bed and then back up and hit brakes.Then I lower the bed a little and salt away. Last year I put the sander on my new GMC 4500 and it has an electric hoist, much easier. The 4700 had to stop and engage pto.Also the 4700 bed would get stuck up in the air. the 4500 always comes down even when the bed is half empty and all the salt is in the rear.Last year I wire wheeled the inside of the bed and rolled two coats of gloss black rustoleum and that helped.Planning on getting a dump liner just been to busy to get around to it. Vibrator would help also.I've got a two camera system and i aim one in the bed to see what's going on back there.