1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Poly Caster Removal

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JamoPropertyNYC, Dec 26, 2015.

1. JamoPropertyNYC

JamoPropertyNYC Junior Member
    from 11357

Hey Guys,
    May sound stupid but I have a 8' Polycaster and was wondering if anyone removed these from their trucks themselves? Whats the weight on one of these units? thanks in advance

2. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Weight is over 500lbs.I just installed my new 1.5 with an overhead hoist.I had a hard time lifting the spinner section by myself! Tried to take it out by myself and wasn't possible.Might be possible if you want to be ugly about it.Minimum 2 man job imho.wesport

3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

We use our skid steer to lift ours into/out of the truck. If you have someone with some sort of loader give them a few bucks to help. If not maybe try to rig up a chain fall somewhere in your shop

4. AllHands

AllHands Junior Member

if you have a machine (bobcat,loader, tractor w loader) thats the way to go. We use the machine with 4ft. slings on each molded handle on the hopper. We just lift a few inches, then drive the truck out from under it. then we stand it on end after we remove the spinner housing. We have removed them by hand, BUT it does not take 2 guys like some will tell you. Unless you want a nice hernia, you should have 4 guys. And if you have spray in bed liner it will only make it tougher. They slide pretty good on the plastic bed liners though

5. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

If you store them standing up you can push it over and muscle it in, I have once or twice.. taking it off in the stand up position is even easier... but a machine makes life alot easier if you have one

6. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

I have done it myself a couple times, you can push it out and stand it up and it's not to hard. as long as it's standing you could get it back in yourself as long as you do t have a bad back. pushing it back in is hard and you should probably have two guys to do it. If you want to make it easier you could pop the hopper covers and grates off to make it lighter but personally I never bothered.