1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Poly Caster - JUNK!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by twwalt1, Mar 11, 2011.

1. twwalt1

twwalt1 Junior Member
    from VT

I purchased a Fisher Poly Caster in the fall of 09. I have to tell you I hate it. It is constantly broken and has not worked right since the day I got it. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same trouble. It is a lot of money for this thing and it should perform better.

First of all the 1/2 HP motor seems to be way underpowered. I would have to get out and turn the chain drive to get it started sometimes. I store my truck in a heated garage so there is no cold start issue. I never leave any sand in the hopper. I always use dry sand and I always empty it when I use it and I never fill it up all the way. I might put in about 1/2 of the capacity and use it within 10 minutes of filling it (by hand).

The "Module" in the cab burned up and that cost me $500 to replace. The small pins in the wiring harness plug broke. This may have been my fault as I should have greased them more. The latest problem that I have is the motor seems to be running real slow and I have to reset it every 5 seconds or so. What I mean by that is the red light comes on and the motor stops so I have to turn the switch off and on again. It is such a pain in the ass. A new motor is $600 and I already know it is going to be underpowered.

Next time I am buying a gas engine drive unit and I really think I am going to stay away from Fisher from now on and I have been a Fisher Only customer for 15 years. My direct email is twwalt1@gmail.com if you want to send me anything directly.

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Shouldnt have been under warranty? Also these things I don't think are made for straight sand, but a sand.salt mix. Also an inverted V might help you as well.

3. twwalt1

twwalt1 Junior Member
    from VT

Yes, I just found out through this site that the sander is still under warranty. I am a little disappointed as I bought the Module from the same Dealer that I got the sander and he never mentioned that the warranty was good for 2 years. Oh well my loss. I am taking it in to have them look at the motor and see if it is covered.

I use a sand with a salt mixture in it, but since I never let it freeze I do not understand the issue with using dry sand since I never overload it anyway. I will check into the inverted V. That is a thought although if the motor stays running it handles the sand on to of the belt just fine. Thanks for your suggestions!

4. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I have a poly caster and a tornado and love them. the tornado has easily run 200 ton of sand or salt thru it. I had the motor replaced under warranty but I think it was actually a recall. The one that you got did it get the upgrade or recall installed. I remember my dealer called and said I needed to bring mine in and he said the kit was installed. thats all i know. my polycaster has the inverted v and i really dont like it. i find it makes the sand bridge up more. when you load just sprinkle the sand in... dont go DUMP all in one shot. Ive littery loaded mine with dripping wet product and its been fine.

the controller is not really ment to be moved around. the first season I had mine I damaged a wire because i didnt have it mounted to the dash.. i use to just pull it out and use it. the end inside broke. I just repaired mine

in 4 years i have had it jam 3 times. thats it. ive had it flash at me and that was casue of corrosion in the box on the side of the poly caster. i cleaned all the terminals and sprayed it witl fluid film and its never been a problem.

5. MIDTOWNPC

before I load my hopper i alway run my sander for a min to make sure there are no clumps and make sure it all works and spins before i load it. perhaps your chain is too tight? grease the heck out of it and give it some fluid film. cover everything in fluid film

6. Platts

Platts Junior Member
    from Mass

I have a poly caster, Ran about 65 tons of salt throw it this year and it is great. I leave salt in it for days. And have no problems.

7. twwalt1

twwalt1 Junior Member
    from VT

I must admit I did not expect much of a response from you all but you have been fantastic! I have a lot of things to check out on my polycaster. I am glad that you all love yours so maybe there is hope. I did call Fisher Engineering and had a good talk with them. I also have a call into the dealer to have them take a look at it. I am checking into the Recall that was listed from MIDTOWNPC but I am not sure if he meant for the Toronado or the Fisher.

But again I appreciate all of your help. I do not plow/sand for a business I just take care of my own rental properties so i do not use it as much as you all probably do so I would have thunk that it would run a little better for my situation.

Regards and I will still take advice, Tom Wyckoff, Jeffersonville VT

8. lilweeds

The Tornado is just the Western version of the spreader. I assume yours is the drag chain style and not the belt? If it's the belt style it's a totally different unit.

9. MIDTOWNPC

the versions that I am talking about are the ones with the belt. both of them I have in western and fisher version. this is the square type looking one, not the newest one.

10. procut

procut Senior Member

It seems like the Western/Fisher/Blizzard electric v-boxes fall into the either you love them or hate them catogory.

11. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

do the right thing switch to salt dogg

12. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

i use a blizzard poly caster same thing as fisher and western the square style we got ours the first year they came out the only real problem weve had with it was we lost a motor on the 2nd season covered under warrenty and to deal with the bridging we got a 200lb vibrator from buyers aside from that no issues and we beat the tar out of ours 4500lbs worth of sand salt mix at a time heaped up overflowing its also belt driven

13. twwalt1

twwalt1 Junior Member
    from VT

My poly caster is the all rubber belt drive. when you say that it is different what does that mean? I know that it is not the chain drive, but is the rest of it not as good either?

14. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Mines a belt drive Western going into it's 4th season between 85-100 ton a season.
    Sounds like you may have a seized bearing or the belt is too tight or loose. Either will trigger the sensor. Too tight will slow the motor, to loose will just slip under load but appear fine when empty. I would play with the belt tension first and grease grease grease the bearings.( I do mine every 5-6 loads.)

15. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

im just down the road from you if you would like me to come look at it with you
    let me know maybe I can find something

16. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Did I understand correctly that the dealer you bought this thing from sold you a $500 part that should have been under warranty? has this dealer been of any help to you ?

Another problem with the motor could be lack of voltage although the other suggestions are great. I can only imagine it must put a pretty decent load on the electrical system. Less volt's = = more amps, more amps = = more heat, less of each = = less power.

17. Lawn Rover

Lawn Rover Inactive

It is because of the information and people like this why I love these sites. good for you Grn. Karma will be good to you. As for the Poly, I have one that I bought last year and love it, zero problems except for the first storm of last year when the spinner motor went. When I brought it to the dealer for fixing they said that Fisher had already made a larger and stronger replacement. As in, they knew it was a problem but were not recalling it.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  18. lilweeds

The belt units are a single motor, the chain are dual motors. The belt unit had it's share of issues, but most were fixed by the time you purchased yours. I'm sending you a PM.

Opps can't send you a PM. Give me an email at acutabove@lilweeds.net

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  19. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Ive got a fisher poly caster
    its been alright for me. probabl;y go through 60 - 70 tons a season

After the first season, the motor blew out & was replaced under warranty but they charged me for the larger sproket. (?)

Just this season, as i was looking it over, I noticed everything just seized up, but its my fault as I neglected it all summer long.

Seized bearings they say, hope its not too expensive to fix.

20. LR3

LR3 Senior Member

I had the same problem with my motor at the tail end of our first storm, not fun! At Fisher's expense, a new, larger motor was installed and have had zero problems since, now going into my third season. As far as neglect, I paid too much and depend on too much to neglect it. Before the tarp goes on, I grease each zerk and spray at least two bottles of fluid film on all moving parts and anything I think might corrode or rust. And hit it again when it goes back on. All in all I think it's a great unit and when the time comes, I'll buy another. Easy to load/unload, easy to store, it's poly, electric. Perfect for it's application. Just my opinion.