1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher plows...how are they...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Aug 13, 2007.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I'm looking at getting a used Fisher 8'HD MMII plow for my truck. I wanted to see how you guys who have Fisher plows like them, and how well they work for residential drives and small parking lots. How do they stand up to Western, Boss etc plows? Is the trip edge better than a full trip blade? I'm trying to get a feeling for how good Fisher plows are.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I like fischers, the trip edge takes a little getting used to, at least it did for me on the MVP, I had a fischer for years many years ago and liked it but ended up with westerns since, mostlt because they were on the trucks I bought.

3. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

In my opinion, Fisher is the only choice. I live in Colorado where Westerns are everywhere and it is very hard to get Fisher parts. But I will go with Fisher until I die. The trip edge design is far superior to the Westerns and other models. I don't understand why someone would get the full blade trip models. When the blade trips you lose your load. With the Fisher the bottom cutting edge trips and it keeps pushing the snow. I have also installed over three dozen Western plows and don't think the construction is near that of the Fishers. The steel is smaller and the whole thing just does not seem as strong. I could go on and on but go with the Fisher.

4. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

He run all fisher blades, always have, we still run two under the hood pump, and bolt on plow harness, they just keeps going, the new plow minute mounts we have, I think have lost one plow last season, we knew of a problem, just couldn't isolate it till it went down. fishers are great plows I think. just watch the trip edge, we found one of the new blades the trip edge and cutting edge both wore down faster then the previous, my guess more weight or different attack angle. just means replace a cutting edge more often for us.

5. karol

karol Senior Member

I don't know much about the new style fisher plows but I got one with the truck in 2004 8ft MMII. I'm selling the plow this year and getting a BOSS or Western. The hydraulics are too slow. They don't backdrag well. They don't angle too well. Certainly a heavy-duty well made plow for commercial plowing but not for residential. Also they don't scrape as well as other brands. Having said all of that I think that the new style fisher plows are much improved regarding the hydraulics and attack angle of the plow.

6. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I disagree with Karol -- Fishers are fantastic for driveways, and I've run them for 14 years myself & for all the years growing up riding with my grandfather. I'm primarily driveways myself, and I find they are great.

~Kevin

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Honestly guys, come on, Fisher, Western, Boss or any other "main stream" manufacture for driveways would be fine. Dealer support is crucial! go to a dealer who seems to care when your broke down. Heck even Meyer has probably come a long way in the past few years,lol. Thats one product I would stay away from,(Meyer) just my opinion. I used to run a Meyer's and after a few years I had a lot of trouble with it even after replacing 95% of the parts. But anything is possible I guess even with a 5K V blade.

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Some good points and yes the "NEW" style Fisher's are much faster and responsive than years past. My Extreme V shakes the crap out of my truck when you angle it either way. I'm not impressed either with the back dragging ability. As far as scraping goes your best bet IMO would be a Blizzard or a Sno-Way with down pressure.

9. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

mines a fisher. it works. i like it. im content. used fishers before.
    as far as speed i dont see a issue. if anything i turn further one way or the other than i want to because i dont stop it in time because im not paying attention. only takes two or three seconds to pivot the blade. at the time your probably backing up anyway so it isnt like its holding you up.

if someone else could explain why the speed is less than desirable please let me know. i hadnt noticed.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  10. karol

karol Senior Member

You just explained it. (I'm content) I'm not trying to bash Fisher or you're opinion on it but if you would try any new style Fisher,Western,etc. you would knowtice a significant difference in the hydraulics(speed). If you're plowing 8-10-12 hrs every snowfall it makes a big difference. People are creatures of habbit, once they get used a certain thing they don't try other's and they think that what they've got is equal or as good as every other thing/plow out there.

11. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

i had a fisher on the truck i just sold, my next truck will also have a fisher because i like them, but mostly because of the dealer support around me. IMO it really comes down to preference...boss guys will tell you they love their boss, and the same goes for fisher guys, western guys, blizzard guys etc. my 7'-6" rd actually scraped very well, and it is lighter than the 8 HD you are looking at. To answer youre question, IMO fisher plows are reliable, strong, and proven, and i think that it would suit all of your needs. - Nick

12. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i couldnt try a new one. i might buy it. and besides the god awful expense i still havent gotten over the let down from when compact disc came onto the market. indestructable my azz.
    i actually went out and bought two cassette tapes today. i have a hundred cd's but the problem is i once had a 120 cds. did anyone notice they scratch like the records used to?

some day ill upgrade the plow (its a m1 three plug so when they hit m5 six plug quad vee ill buy a m4 five plug tri vee). for now though i hit up it goes up. i hit left it goes left. right goes right. down goes down. like i said. im content. not to say you arent right about the newer plows karol. and not to say i wont end up with a newer one that is faster at some point. of course by then the new plow i get will be outdated and ill be told a faster better one is out that i should upgrade too. sounds like a now win situation. did i tell you i went back to buying cassette tapes?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  13. icebeer

icebeer Junior Member

I like the trip edge plow better than the full moldboard trip. Both work fine in light snows, but in heavy wet snow the trip edge is far surperior to the full moldboard, The toughest trip edge was the old style Diamond, but since the redesign a few years ago, it is not as strong. They went from a 11ga to 12ga moldboard. It also is plagued with the electrical and pump problems that all Myers units have.