1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Plows Discussion 10/25 - 10/29

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Michael J. Donovan, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

Hello Everyone!

Again this year, Fisher Engineering, will be hosting a discussion here in their forum. The discussion will begin on Monday 10/25 and run until Friday 10/29. Be sure to read the discussion and feel free to participate.

This open discussion will be hosted by Roger Peabody - Technical Service Representative and Andy McArdle - Product Marketing Manager. Please join us for what is sure to be an informative session, and thanks in advance for your participation.

2. Tyler Jones

Tyler Jones Junior Member

Hello everyone,

My name is Tyler Jones and I will be filling in for Roger today and tomorrow. I am a Technical Service representative for Fisher Engineering, I am happy to answer any technical questions that you may have.

-Tyler

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 2010 Toyota Tundra with a 7.5' Fisher SD. When I go to back out of the plow (yes the pins are disengaging all the way) the push plates are so tite aganst the plow frame that I have to have somebody hold the plow so it doesn't get pulled back with the truck. I have never hit any thing with my push plates and the plow has only bean used twice.

4. Tyler Jones

Before backing away from the plow you might try off setting the length of chain via the stop link which will effectively prevent the headgear from following you backwards. The same thing can be done to "short chain" the plow to carry the blade in the lifted position, should the plow malfunction and need to be transported for repair . It is necessary to return the chain to it original position when remounting the plow.

5. Andrew McArdle

Andrew McArdle Sponsor

Hello everyone,

My name is Andy McArdle and I am the Product Marketing Manager for Fisher Engineering. I look forward to answering any marketing related questions that you may have this week.

Thank you for allowing Tyler, Roger and I the opportunity to host the Fisher forum. We look forward to your questions and comments.

Andrew McArdle
    Product Marketing Manager
    Fisher Engineering

6. mercer_me

I have another coment. My plow control modual came unglued from wear it's mounted. I'm binging it to Trail Side in Winslow tonite so they can put it back on. Does this happen often or is this just a freak thing?

7. Tyler Jones

I assume that you are referring to the isolation module under the hood?Make sure that the mounting surface is cleaned well with rubbing alcohol, that will promote adhesion. Also there are provisions on the module to allow it to be cable tied in place as well.

8. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

Thanks guys (Fisher) for offering this service and taking our questions. As many have pointed out and is far more previlant out where I live in Colorado, it is very difficult sometimes to get answers from dealers. There are only two certified Fisher dealers here in CO and neither of them have a clue as to what they are selling.
    Anyway my question is about the center pivot pin on the 8'6" XV. I have yet to have a problem with my plow and use it very hard. I love it. However I have heard about the center pin issues and mine is quite bent. It still seems to work good (although when going into scoop the left wing goes faster than the right, not sure if that issue is related.) So can I get a new one or is it not worth it? I don't mind doing it myself as I have all the tools and did the install myself.
    Second is having my plow adjusted by a dealer. Like I said before they don't seem to know much about these plows so I am hesitant to bring it to them. The issue I have is when in straight position and pushing snow off to the side, there does not seem to be enough pressure or strength in the hydraulics to angle the plow against the load of snow. My other straight plows would angle great against a load and even push me out of a stuck spot. But this one does not seem to have that capability. Is this normal or is an adjustment needed?
    Thanks for your time.
    Chris

9. Tyler Jones

I would advise you to change out your damaged pin with a new hardened center pin (pn 44028) that can be identified by having BM/HT stamped on the head of the pin. This should improve scoop performance by allowing both wings to travel unrestricted and at the same rate. Based on your description I would suggest adjusting the relief valves for the base end of your angle cylinder's (4600 PSI) as well as verify that your pump pressure is correct at 2250 PSI. See page 19 of the attached mechanics guide for an overview of this procedure.

http://library.fisherplows.com/fisherplows/pdf/27365.00_010107.pdf

How old is your plow?

-Tyler

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Tyler, I have a question relating to my older MM1 system that my local Fisher dealer (long time truck only and Fisher dealer, just has no idea on this) can't figure out.

On my Dodge (see sig) my MM1, since I bought the truck (used- 2nd owner) has had some kind of alignment issue- the a-frame will not ride level to the ground and allow the trip edge to actually scrape snow. I have had to raise the a-frame up to the bottom hole which makes the a-frame point down toward the moldboard causing extra stress (credit to your product that is still handles this commercially used for all these years), bent pivot pins, cracked a frame at the pivot, etc. In all the seasons of plowing, with a 1/2 bolt on cutting edge I have only worn the edge 1/2 inch....yet the spring anchors are dragging the pavement now.
    Again, local dealer has inspected it several times over the years and found nothing wrong with the installation and nothing bent, displaced, etc.
    I understand many of the early MM1 systems used Speedcaster plows and my Speedcaster from my Chevy does not exhibit this wear issue (albeit a different truck thus different circumstances).
    The only thing I have been able to resolve (on my own) is that the attack angle is very different for the generation plow I have for some reason. Ever encounter this? Any ideas? I had toyed with a new trip edge (as well as redrilling the cutting edge mounting holes lower) but the only option I have left for such an old plow seems to be a replacement (new style a-frame/moldboard). which is cost prohibitive versus a newer used setup and upgrading.
    The plow was put on the truck new (in 1996) is an 8' HD, and from what I remember has the skin behind the bottom piece.(G series??)

11. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

Thank you for the quick reply Tyler. This will be the plows third season. I bought it new in the fall of 08. I was going to try that procedure you pointed to, just have to find the time. How would I get a replacement pin under warranty? Should I go through my local dealer?
    Thanks again,
    Chris

12. Tyler Jones

H,G,L, and M blades (current style) have all maintained the same 54 degree attack angle (with A-frame level), I have not encountered or heard of anything different. After installing a new 6" cutting edge you would be restoring your original blade height and should see about an inch of clearance between the ground and bottom of the trip spring, is this the case? You are correct the the A-frame should be as level as possible for correct attack angle and base angle wear, with that said you should not see any difference between the blade on you Chevy and the blade on you Dodge. Any chance you could upload some pictures that will clearly display the extent of your base angle wear and attack angle?

Thanks,

-Tyler

13. Tyler Jones

Correct, any warranty will have to be done through a dealer. Just make sure that you can provide the dealer with your original purchase invoice and serial number-we have extended the warranty on the pin only and would be more than happy to up fit you to the new style pin.

-Tyler

14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I was going to change the cutting edge 2 seasons ago, and as I was about to remove the "old" one I noticed it was about the same size as the new one so I measured it across the face at the corners and center and found max of 1/2 inch wear to the corners (less in the center).
    I will take some clear pictures as soon as I have the truck back (at the shop having work done in prep for this season). Unfortunately it will be at least 2 weeks before I have the truck back due to parts suppliers. (having all the lines for the transmission made in SS).
    I will post them here (if this is still here) and open and/or PM you when I have them. Or, if you would prefer, PM me your email and I'll get them to you that way.

I'm going to have to completely rebuild this plow (skin and pivots) or replace it, but if there is a problem I would like to find out what it is before doing either.

Thanks

15. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I'm wondering if Fisher has wings designed or "in the works" to attach to their straight blades like other manufacturers. I currently run Pro wings and they increase productivity but a factory set with Fisher quality and design would sell/ perform well in my opinion. Thanks for your time.

16. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

I'd like to hear an answer to this question too.

17. mercer_me

I have a sugestion for the Fisher website. For the Fisher SD plow put some pictures of a 7.5' SD on a 2007 or newer Tundra. Most Tundra owners with plows have Fisher 7.5' SD plows on there Tundra. I just think it would be nice to have some Tundra and SD pictures on the Fisher website. The Tundra and 7.5' SD is a great combo IMO.

18. Andrew McArdle

Andrew McArdle Sponsor

FordFisherman & GMCHD plower: Thanks for the question / suggestion. We are always looking for new accessory recommendations to add value and productivity to our plow line. Although we don’t have Fisher branded plow wings available today, I would be lying if I said they have not been considered in the past. All projects / line extensions are put through an extensive evaluation process before being approved, and, to date, unfortunately other projects have taken precedence over adding accessory plow wings. Is there a certain straight blade model that you would like to see plow wings available on?

mercer_me: Thank you for the suggestion. I will pass your suggestion on to our Director of Brand Advertising and web development team.

19. Roger Peabody

Roger Peabody Sponsor

Good Morning, This is Roger Peabody from the Fisher Technical Service Department. I will be here the rest of this week along with Andrew McArdle to answer your questions.

20. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I think a wing that could be installed on the HD plows would be awesome. Some that could swing away with the pull of a pin for transport rather than being removed and reinstalled every time.

How about the idea of an expandable (XLS style) V plow? Going from an 8 1/2' plow to a 9 1/2;?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.