1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fisher plow under hood pump are these any good?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by cornbinder, Mar 21, 2008.

1. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

i just purchased a 91 ford f-350 diesel with a 9 foot fisher plow, it's the one that has the pump under the hood ran off an accessory drive belt. are theany good? i've got the same duplicate set-up i pulled off another truck but never used it. i know the blade is HEAVY DUTY. just wondering how those work as far as performance and reliability? thanks, pete

2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah they are ok. Just have to keep the belt tight. So when plowing carry a wrench

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You didn't say if the truck was a stick. If it is ,this is the best setup for that type of plow.

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Most reliable setup that was ever produced.

5. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Well I don't know if...... Yeah, you're right!!!

You'll enjoy this plow -- it's rugged as anything and won't let you down.

6. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

truck is an automatic. i can see where a stick would be nice push the clutch in and blip the throttle to speed up the pump pulley speed for a few. can't win em all. thanks, pete

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You could 2 foot it though,foot on brake and give a little gas.

8. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Neutral and the gas pedal will be your friend...

9. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

that's how I always did it

10. SuperDuty

SuperDuty Senior Member

I plowed with a 78 F-250 with the old under the hood set up and it was great. It had the auto in it and with just a little extra quick push of the gas pedal it moved! You'll figure it out soon enough. Sometimes you'll use the brake and neutral and sometimes you won't!

Good Luck!!!:drinkup:

11. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

or change pulley's size to little small will help it but would burn belt if too much small pulley.

For me i favor this over electric pump why you don't need pay expense battery and struggle with wires short out.

12. PaulSmith

PaulSmith Junior Member

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  13. NorwayAuto&Plow

NorwayAuto&Plow Senior Member

We just sent all our old hydrolic under the hood conventional parts to the scrap yard. Parts are two limited (probably other dealers did the same thing we did) and todays technology is so much better and more reliable in really cold temps. you can get a mm1 for around $1500 but expect to change the oil... maybe some bulbs... and possibly a cutting edge.

14. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

That's crazy. The dealers around here, some of them Fisher dealers for 40+ years, still stock all the cconventional parts. Pumps, valve bodies, control cables, pushbeams etc. Still lots of convtional Fishers around here. Many still see commercial use.

15. NorwayAuto&Plow

NorwayAuto&Plow Senior Member

Not in central New York! People here don't have time to wait for the plow to raise. Its obsolete for a reason. Plus when its cold, the oil will thickin making the plow move even slower. electric works no matter what and they are alot cheaper to fix than conventional!

16. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

imo there the best, got a 70's model i think, still works great, never had trouble with it, its been on 2 trucks. plow residential's with it.

17. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Had a 78 ford with one on it and I live in central NY where we get lake effect and often have to plow every day of the week. I NEVER, EVER had a problem with that set up. Only changed the fluid 2 or 3 times in 25 years and then used ATF. Gave the truck to my neighbor and he still plows with it. Wish I never had. Although the new EZV is nice we have had our share or problems with sticking solenoids, bad grounds and such. Change the fluid x3 every winter. There is just something nice about cable controlled system, there is much less to go wrong.

18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Except you run the risk of burning out the pump by running too many RPM's. This can occur with central hydraulic pumps, maybe not the Fishers.

19. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

any how, back to the origional poster......that thing will serve you GREAT! regardless of what Norway thinks(remember everything here is just a opinion) oh...and by the way. MOST HAY TRUCKS ARE ENGINE DRIVEN....and Yea they work in the cold weather when a bale is stuck to the ground......infact my hay trucks run all day everyday....how many plows can say they work that hard? oh. and without a problem!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Strange, could've sworn you had typed more than this PJ. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: