1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Plow tricks

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BigDave12768, Jan 1, 2009.

1. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Ok so lets share our tricks of trade.

My trick is On my truck I have one of those hood deflectors that goes across the front of the hood. Mine is painted Blue. So on this I have a piece of blue eletrical tape. I line that up with a bolt on the bottom of the Fisher lights and I can drive right in with out an issue

2. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

i just line up the center line of my hood with the center of the lift arm and drive right in

3. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

have mine o a dolly... can't miss...........

4. wildbl1500

wildbl1500 Senior Member

I sometimes swear a little...

Then, I pray to win the lottery so I can build a garage and use a dolly.

5. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

It gets so annoying I just leave it on.

6. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

Shovel come in handy when puting the plow on, to lift plow to put in to the pins. broke a few shovels though that way 2.(this is with an old speed cast plow)

7. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

Yes, I bought a car as a second vehicle.

Plow and sander went on December 16th and have been on since. Any running around I have to do, jump in the car and go.

I must have put my plow on and off 15 times last year, gets sickening.

8. dmacy

dmacy Junior Member

I took two pieces of 3/4 black iron pipe and welded it onto two pieces of 1/8 inch 6"by6" diamond plate in the center. On the other side of the diamond plate I welded four small swivel casters at each corner. The 3/4 pipe is high enough to go through the holes for the shoes in my eight foot MM1. I drilled a hole through the top of the pipe so I could use the snap clip that came with the shoes to hold the swivels on the plow. I cut off the bottom of the jack off and welded a piece of 2" pipe on it about 3" long. I use the caster from a trailer jack and when I get ready to drop the plow I just stick the caster over the pipe, put a pin through it and drop the jack. Once the plow is sitting on the casters and the jack is dropped on the caster I disconnect the plow on my garage floor and drive away. I hook the safety chain tight enough so the headgear does not tip backward. To keep it from tipping forward you can stick a piece of pipe between the light bracket on the headgear down to the reinforcement piece that reinforces the plow angle cylinders. I use an adjustable load control bar for the back of a pickup box.The trick is making sure the headgear is straight up and not tipped. This keeps the caster on the jack strait. I can easily roll my plow around my garage floor and hook it up in about a minute.

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Are you kidding? The old Speedcasts are easier to put on than the MM1's!
    Hook the lift chain on the lift frame and lift the plow enough to just take the weight off the ground- the ears come up first. You can swing the plow on the lift chain, maneuvering the ears down, sideways, wherever needed to get them in the push plates and throw the pins.

I normally take the MM1 off the Dodge after every storm, unless there is another forecast within 72 hours. Once I have hooked/unhooked 4 or 5 times lining up is second nature... oh, and I always put wood blocks under the cutting edge and foot to keep them from sinking into melting snow or freezing to the ground, especially since I park on dirt which becomes mud.
    The first and only time the blade was frozen in the mud was embarising.

10. dmacy

dmacy Junior Member

Hooking up the MM1 in the snow on the ground sucks. If it has snowed the truck is on top of the snow which makes it higher. If the angle if off just a little you can't get the pins in. Never mind being frozen int the ground. That's why I found a better method and drop it in my garage with my casters. I remember the old days when the valve body was mounted on the headgear. Just drive up hook the chain, reach back to the valve body and pick it up or angle it to get the pins in. The only problem is that the cables tended to freeze up.

11. mikeyfff1011

mikeyfff1011 Member

same here works great everytime :nod:

12. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

I close my eyes & let my spidy senses guide me in! ......TA-DAAAaaaa! LOL :D

13. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

I find that if I talk dirty to her it goes in easier......... But, maybe that's just me;)

14. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

You can easily compensate pin height by pushing the light head unit towards plow will raise where the truck meets the plow. Then drive forward and it will lift/straighten out the unit enough to rock it back and forth to make the pins catch. (be sure you have enough slack outta the lift chain) I drop mine all the way when I drop the plow to make sure I have the slack needed to hook it back up.

15. T&MSnowMan

T&MSnowMan Member

I got the MM2 and I have never spent more then a couple minutes putting it on...I do put wood blocks under my cutting edge and jack stand, but lining up the center line on hood with the center of the head gear is too easy...I cant speak for the MM1 and Speedcast guys..but MM2 guys shouldnt be spendin more then a couple minutes to mount up..!!..Im pretty confident I could do this heavily inebriated :drinkup: as well ...still under 2 minutes..LOL...There should be a Fisher Plow hook-up Tourney..like the nascar pit crew challenge!! Lets start it up..LOL ussmileyflag wesport

16. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

If you are taking more than a minute then it's not a true Minute Mount Plow! lol

Only kidding, When I got my first Minute Mount I swore at it for at laest 5 minutes and then took another five minutes to hook up, so I called it the ten minute mount plow!

I found that My drop chain needed some additional slack and the pins needed to wear in a bit, after the first season, it was a minute and a half mount plow.

17. T&MSnowMan

T&MSnowMan Member

LOL..Heres the deal..I figured if I put the real world (30 seconds to a minute) to hook-up, everyone would be saying NO WAY and sayin Im bluffin...LOL..so I put that down sayin worst case scenario thats how long it would take...!!

I couldnt help but notice your username...and the 24 at the end...man o man...WHY...lol...Ive never liked rainbow boy...but I will not take what he can do in his car away from him...hes just my favorite driver to hate, since I was a kid! Since your probably curious now, My driver was Earnhardht and Rudd, both are gone now, Im also an E JR and Jimmie Johnson fan...and who doesnt like watchin to see what Smoke's gonna do next..?LOL

18. mikeyfff1011

mikeyfff1011 Member

that would be interesting to see

19. daninline

daninline Senior Member

Tips never leave your pins locked out for a long time it will weaken them.
    Don't forget the stand down after you hook up (that would suck)
    Make sure the stand is locked in place before backing up when un-hooking
    Wash the dam thing and don't let it turn into a big pile of rust :(
    Get a plow cover and some kind of lock.

I also never have a problem hooking up my MM1 or when I had the old SpeedCast just do what MRBachand works everytime.

20. MustangFox302HO

MustangFox302HO Junior Member
    from Mass

f*ck geting it on i cant get it off any tricks in that area!!