1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Plow Probs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jim00, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Jim00

Jim00 Junior Member
    from Maine

Hey All,

I'll spare you the boring details, but when the shop down the road reinstalled my plow, I think they got some hoses crossed ... or something else is wrong. I'll explain how it worked and what I've tried ... and I'll try to keep it simple.

After hooking my minute mount plow up this morning, I went to lift it ... and the pump just squeeled. I tried to raise it and the plow moved to the left just a little. So I went to turn it the other way and the plow lifted okay ... then it was able to turn to the left. Not to the right. I took the operating lever off it's mount and switched the two cables ... so that it would raise when in that position and turn when going that way. Now, here's where the problem lies:

When I lift it, she goes wicked slow, and when I lower it, it's like 'freefalling'. I can move the plow to the left, but when trying to swing to the right, nothing happens ... and I feel no resistance on the lever. I looked under the hood as my wife moved the lever, and all the valves seem to be moving in and out as I think they should.

I'm not sure if any of you have any troubleshooting tips for me ... I'm hoping it's a real simple thing ... otherwise I'll take it to the local Fisher shop to troubleshoot and repair.

I'm at work, so I probably won't be able to get back to this until this evening ... Thanks in Advance for All Your Help.

"Maine - The Way Life Should Be"
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Jim, before you do too much try it again when it's had a chance to warm up. My 9' did almost exactly as your describing a couple weeks ago. It had been cold and working all winter, then warmed and got cold again. I (unintentionally) let it sit for a couple weeks, the weather warmed up and now it's working fine. Maybe some moisture got in the fluid. Assuming that the hydraulic fluid isn't low now, if it does start working I suggest draining and refilling.
  3. Jim00

Jim00 Junior Member
    from Maine

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the reply. I'm just leaving her set for now ... and will put my truck in the garage tomorrow and blast it with some salamander heat. I did push up against a tree to straighten out the blade, but it didn't seem to fix the problem of not swinging to the right. Hopefully the weather will warm back up ... but I seriously doubt I'll do anything to it this winter ... but will get it squared away in August/Sept for next winter.

--Jim :D :D :cool: :cool: