1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Plow problem--continued.....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Nascar Fan, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

Ok I will try to keep it short but... I have a 6.5' Fisher electric plow on my truck.I had a problem with the blade not going up or down& side to side is/was fine.I took the unit to my local machine shop to have the packing nut on the top of the ram that had been so overtight that they actually snapped the ears of the nut off!!I replaced the packings while i was in there and bought a new packing nut.I put it all back on the truck and it does now go up and down but it will only go up about 4-5 times then it gets it's it's too heavy for me attitude and goes up less and less with each try.Now when i drop the plow it's real slow do drop.I know it should not hit the ground like the chain snapped but i mean it's slow--almost stopped slow.Now my questions are: Are these problems related?Or is the plow down an adjustment and the plow up problem from the pump bieng stressed from the way overtight nut that it wore the pump out?I checked the shaft of the pump and it's clean,no scoring or burn marks.And the lift ram nut us just barely hand tight at best and if i tighten it or loosen it makes no difference.I know there is an adjustment on the pump somewhere but where? and is that just a band-aid because it's bad to begin with?Thanks for any input guys.I really enjoy the help and i really think of you guys as friends.If anyone is my way and needs mechanical help give me a shout as i would be more than happy to help.

2. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

have you checked the electrical half?

check the amprage draw on the motor. out of spec?

altenator keeping up? how the battery?

going down?
    i'd check all the hoses, fittings (quick connect too), for obstructions. hows the filter too? how the oil?

is there a flow control valve that maybe clogged or mis adjusted?

3. Rappa

Rappa Member

Definately sounds like a clog somewhere...

4. mtoms26100

mtoms26100 Junior Member

crack the hydralic hose for the lift. Raise the blade. Oil should shoot out pretty good. If that works fine i suspect that oil is leading past the pistion and into the other side of the cylinder. Since it is a one way cynlinder this is restricting it movment. Rebuild cylinder