1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Plow motor theft!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by MACKCL1998, Nov 5, 2011.

1. MACKCL1998

MACKCL1998 Junior Member

Last year, thieves removed motors from three Minute Mount plows from our yard! Short of welding the motors to the frame, what can be done to ensure that the replacement motors don't suffer the same fate!

The same goes for stolen headlamps!

Thanks

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Fence the yard and get a dog, move to a better neighborhood, install alarms and video

3. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Or store them inside the shop.

4. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

See if you can located anti theft bolts in the proper size. They won't STOP them, but will make it very difficult if they don't have the correct socket to remove them.

5. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Id tack weld the bolts on the pump!

6. MACKCL1998

MACKCL1998 Junior Member

All good suggestions. I will look for the anti- theft bolts, and probably tack weld as a last resort!

Thanks!

7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I second Brad's idea, one small tack weld to each bolt would do the trick....nothing elaborate, and rather easy for you to rectify if you needed to remove it yourself. Atleast you or your neighbors will hear a cordless wiz wheel fire up in the middle of the night. It's not exactly stealthy lol.

8. MACKCL1998

MACKCL1998 Junior Member

I like it! Will do Monday morning.

Thanks Ryan
    Dom

9. CS-LAWNSERVICE

CS-LAWNSERVICE Member

was at cosco yesterday and they have indoor outdoor surveillance cameras 4 cams one moniter expandable to 8 camera's records for up to 35 days
    I would think you can cover pretty much all of your yard with a system like this .Price was $300 not only do you stop your stuff from getting stolen but have video to hand over to the police.

10. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

I was going to start a new thread about pump thefts, but found this one during a search of the site. After somebody in another thread (post #56) mentioned having one stolen, I started looking a little harder at protection for mine.

It's good to know that. I figured if the thief brought a torch, that would make some noise and a lotta sparks, and a gas-engine circular saw would be even noisier. Some guys claim they can cut through any lock with a battery-powered grinder. I'd ask 'em, if you make a bunch of noise with the grinder and attract attention from the owner of whatever you were trying to steal ( :gunsfiring: ), how's your "profit margin" gonna be after that?
    "Through a sound power level and vibrations study conducted by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, grinders under an unloaded condition ranged from 91 to 103 dBA." (From the Wikipedia page about angle grinders.)

11. Maine_Train

Update: Just received some theft-resistant* nuts and a driver (socket) to put on the ¼-20 bolts on the plow pump mount. I'm going to have to do some experimenting to see if the hex bolts can still be removed when those nuts are on and tightened. If so, I might have to replace the existing bolts with carriage bolts or something else that a thief couldn't get a wrench on. Finding Grade 5 bolts in the right length has been kind of a challenge.

I think there's enough "extra" thread on the stock bolts to put the security nuts on over the stock lock-nuts, or maybe put the lock-nuts behind the security nuts. (As long as it doesn't provide a way for someone to get locking pliers onto them.) I might just use the security nuts in place of the "polymer-insert lock nuts," maybe with some red Loctite (271) behind them.

I also bought a "U-lock" (or "D-lock") that I think will be wide enough to fit around the motor and clamp it to the headgear. The only question right now is if the lock will be long enough for that task. I should know more after it arrives in Tuesday's mail, and I'll post the results here.

*Nothing's really "theft-proof." But if it's gonna be too much work to steal something, or if trying to steal it might draw unwanted attention from the police and/or the owner, most thieves will go look for easier pickings.

12. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

If all else fails, just go get an electric fence controller at Tractor Supply, and hook the plow up to it. :eek:

13. Maine_Train

Every time I'm tempted to do that, I remember a boyhood friend in MA whose father owned a rubbish collection service. One Halloween in the late Fifties or early Sixties, Bill (my friend's father) "wired up" his trash truck so nobody would vandalize it.
    Bobby (the son) used to tell the story with more than a little amusement, because Bobby's father got knocked on his butt on 11/01, getting into his truck to start his route . . .

That would be about the way my luck would run, except that my wife would post a video on the Intertoobz. :(

14. Maine_Train

I think this could be useful, but it needs some "refinement."
    [​IMG]

That's a Kryptonite brand KryptoLok® series 2 ATB. It's 5" x 9" inside the 'U' (or 'D', if you prefer), larger than most locks of that type but not large enough to fit around the lower part of the pump (reservoir?). It probably wouldn't reach the vertical part of the headgear from there, either. I was hoping it would fit between the pump fluid plug and the mounting bracket, but I wasn't smart enough to measure that part of the assembly. (Duh.)

Locked on as it is in the photo, the only thing keeping it from being slid up and off the motor is the power cable. Somebody told me the thieves tend to cut the cables (and hydraulic hoses), so that probably wouldn't be much of an impediment to them.
    [​IMG]

Probably just a short piece of heavy chain around the mounting bracket, with the shackle of the lock through a couple of links, would keep the shackle from being moved enough to slip it off the motor. The lock keeps the pump from being slid out of the bracket on the headgear, if the thief can even remove the ¼-20 bolts that hold the square part of the pump (manifold?) into the bracket.
    One of the theft-resistant nuts I put on those bolts is visible in the first photo. For now, I've got them acting as jam nuts against the "nyloc" nuts that Fisher puts on there. It seems to work, but I'm open to suggestion from those more mechanically-inclined than I am. (That could be just about everyone here. ;) )

Whaddya think?

15. Paul D

Paul D Member

What about a piece of chain that went around where the base of the motor bolts up and around the bracket that holds the motor to the headgear? or around the lock and the headgear bracket to prevent it from being lifted off? :gunsfiring:

16. Maine_Train

I was thinking of forming a 'U' with the chain around the headgear or pump mount, and a link on each end of the chain over each end of the shackle on the U-lock, so the U-lock couldn't be lifted/tilted up. (Both ends of the shackle can be removed from the crossbar once it's unlocked.) But the ends of that shackle are both larger diameter than the rest of it, so that might be a PITA.

Just a chain around the lower part of the pump, with a good heavy shrouded-shackle padlock on it, might be less complicated than fiddling with the U-lock. Or around the motor, the links on the chain might be able to cover the heads on the hex bolts so "unauthorized persons" couldn't get a wrench on them. That might further impede the thievin' bastitches. [​IMG]

To complement all the locks and stuff, I should have gotten at least one of each of these this afternoon when I was ordering other items from the Funny T Shirt Shack:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  17. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

If a thief has a socket set, what's to stop them from removing the motor mounting bolts at the top of the motor can with the D-lock like that?Motor bolts out, motor separate from block, block comes right out of the frame bracket, motor drops out of the lock...delays theft by maybe an additional 1:30.
    Security bolts, tack weld, or better property security.

18. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I made a cover for mine. It is not an insta-act though. Kind of a hybrid Fenner. There is a steel plate on the back side I welded the bolt heads to. You cannot get your hand up there to get the motor out. Even if you get the bolts on the side of the cover it will not come off until the bolts on the back go into a 1/4" plate.
    T.J.

[​IMG]