1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Plow..... keep or not?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ff610, Feb 28, 2010.

1. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

I just purchased a 2005 F-550 with a Fisher 9' Stainless plow on it. I guess according to the design it's the XBlade. I've owned pretty much all brands in the past 20 years, but a Fisher. Currently I run mostly Boss VXT's and 1 western Unimount. From my recollection, Fisher is the basically the same as Western correct? I'm just trying to decide if this plow is worth keeping, or I should sell it so it matches my other 6 for ease of maintenance, parts etc. Whats your thoughts. Thanks

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The big advantage of the X-blade over the VXT is the scraping ability. But if you have a fleet of Boss plows it would seem logical to change this truck over as well.

The F550 could handle a 9-2 with wings no problem, and move much more snow than the X.

3. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

I would at least try it out before dumping it.

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You should keep it IMO. Fisher makes a very good plow IMO.

5. Mnpowerstroke99

Mnpowerstroke99 Member

I'd give it try you might like it,if not then sell it.I'd wait until fall to sell it if you want to get more cash for it.I think the controllers,pumps,and wiring are made by western.

6. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

The X Blade is an awesome plow. My brother has run one for 8 years. He has only had to replace 1 line in it. It backdrags really well too. I would run it. I think you will like it.

7. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

This is quite probably the best plow you own: And it would be absurd to sell it with out using it. Fisher plows have been the leader in plows nationwide since 1948; and when a Western plow was a johnny come lately plow; for home owners only; the Fisher Plow was considered the standard for commercial operators. Back then Western and Meyers plows with there full trip design; were considerably cheaper in the way they were built; and in price; and were not, in the same class as a Fisher plow in anyway.I dont know how many folks I have known over the last 30 years that bought one of the others because it was considerable cheaper and then told me after owning them "I should have bought a Fisher!". Since Douglas Dynamics bought Fisher; they of course also own Western Plow and they have basically quietly over the years have compleatly changed the Western Plow from the flimsie forward flipping flap of steel that would lay over anytime you pushed it into anything.So quietly they have changed it into a Fisher "look alike" and they are now sharing alot of design features. Fisher plows are still considered the very top of the heap; by most commerical operators that have used them. I realize that out in your country that RED plows are very popular; and if you already have a whole fleet of them then it may make sense to keep them all the same ?
    If I were you I would try it; and use it; and unless you are one of those guys that only likes one thing; you will most certainly like the plow . And if anyone tells you that it is inferior to ANY plow you have; they probably have never used one or have some kinda personal preferance to another brand based on their experence that is most likely limited to the brand "they own" then you are also going to run into the guy that has had trouble with his plow and is on a "mission" to try to convince everyone they speak with against that brand??? Fisher is still the king of plow sales in America and probably sells more plows than ALL the other brands put togeather!!! They will continue to stay ontop because they are about 5 years ahead of the pack and they are all trying to play catch up and copy their stuff???
    Good Luck with what ever you end up with . But you probably have one of the finest plows out there right now! A 550 with the 9' X series is a heck of a nice outfit!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  8. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Parts and commonality is quite possibly the most competitive edge. Dump the Fisher and commonize to another Boss plow.

9. snowflakejake

snowflakejake Junior Member

in my area fisher is king, if you want to go low budget then boss!

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

FVM - You think the X blade is better than your XtremeV? I did NOT see that coming. Hmmmm

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Are you for real? have you ever studied any of the history of Snowplows or for that matter read Fishers own "plowing though the storm"? There is so little valid information in this post that I expected it to have a :rolleyes: at the end. Nationwide since 1948:laughing::laughing:

12. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Cor517,
    No I didnt mean that it is better than a XV; I was just letting him know that he has a very nice plow there and he should probably try it and then he will certainly be able to decide what he thinks of it. Back in the early 1980s up in Alaska there was a bunch of Western plows up there, and I couldnt imagine that, with all the snow we got up there. The Western company had a good network to distribute them up there outta Seattle; and they had sold alot of them . I had a New 3/4 Ton Chevy at the time; and had a friend coming up from Maine with a 5th wheel; so I called down; and bought a new 8ft Fisher and he hauled it up for me on his trip. I mounted it up and started plowing driveways with it; and it was interesting that everyone that had a pickup/ plow; wanted to know about it; and they couldnt believe how much snow it would go with; compared to their full trip plows; laying over all the time;[the Western plow from the 1980s was quite a lightweight plow ] They always would comment how much "heavier made" the Fisher Plow was. A firm in Anchorage started to sell Fishers shortly after that; and now they are common all over; but back then they though the other plows were the bees knees and was all there was .Of course back here in the East they had been the standard for many years. I sold that to my next door neighbor in 1986 and the last time I spoke with him the plow is still going strong! It will be fun to see how the next 30 years will go ??

PS My buddy wouldnt take a cent for hauling it up for me; and kept saying "I was coming up anyway" but I can tell you that when he headed home; a month later; we had taken him all over with us in the floatplane; and he came home with hundreds of pounds of Salmon both smoked and frozen!!!

13. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

WINNER! keep it the same as the other trucks to keep downtime to a minimum. There is no need to keep two sets of spare parts this way.

14. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah your right, a company known for making 12" high plastic plows really is much better.....I mean, just look at the Mega Blade (oh no's!)

15. plowguy43

You have 2 fishers, 1 boss, and a Noway?

16. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Sounds right Snowflakejake your all over it! :nod:

17. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

yes, actually we have 3 fishers for two trucks if you must know, one complete spare ready to go all the time plus enough parts on the shelves to rebuild the whole thing if we wanted. the toy's don't have the same size headgear as the larger trucks so there's no need to keep it the same there.

We recently switched to boss and the snoway is a back up until it can be replaced with a boss too. The fishers are the oldest blades we have and will likely be replacing them with boss too.

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I never said a negative thing about Fisher or promoted any other manufacturer.

Read Fishers own company history and you will find that post in-accurate. It was at best a promotional endorsement based on the gentleman's own personal preferences. Something he has every right to have but let’s get the information right.

I’m sure there were Fishers in Alaska and Milwaukee in the 1950s but Fisher by their own admission did not actively market their product outside of Maine and the connecting states until well after the DD accession. In fact if I have my time-line correct it was after the Aurora group purchased DD. They were not the savior of DD. they in fact were dependant on DD to provide an system to replace/supplement the under-hood systems that was need to open up both vehicle fits and capable installers, not everyone is willing to modify the engine bay. DD's marketing resources, financial stability and production capabilities allowed Fisher to grow. While Fishers largest sellers are still the same product they have built for 60+ years, they are innovating, as exhibited by their development of the X series plows, as they try to shed weight by moving in to the realm of the direct lift and space framed plows with separate moldboard skins as pioneered by the makers of the "12 inch plastic plows" and the innovations brought to them by the blizzard purchase.

Request a copy of” plowing though the storm” from Fisher. It is a fascinating read whether you are a Fisher Fan or not.

19. plowguy43

BSD- gotcha, just was funny that you had exactly what you were advising against! LOL I agree though, being able to swap is easier, more cost effective, and reliable. Who knows, maybe he'll like the fisher so much he'll switch over.

basher-thanks for the history lesson.

20. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

Unfortunately I had already accumulated a few plows before I realized how smart it is to keep as much the same as possible. I did like the snoway when i got it, but sadly dealer support here is nonexistant and that is a buzz kill. also the boss is light years ahead (it is a different generation of plow though) of it too.