1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Plow GMC Frame issue

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Motorman 007, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Hi Guys,

My brother has a 1998 GMC 2500 8600 gvw. The left push plate has torn the frame rail right through dropping it down about 3 inches. Has anyone seen this before? It is the style that has the bolting bar that slides in the boxed frame rail. Its hard to describe so I've attached the Fisher pdf. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. chris694205

chris694205 Senior Member

i have seen this on a friend of mines truck twice... he is pretty good with a welder so he just did some fabricating and madeit even stronger
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That frame must have been getting tender. I have the same truck. I have pounded the snot out of it for almost four years and the push plates and truck frame look fine.
  4. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Guy up in Alaska has the fix

I saw an extensive post on this about a month ago from a fella up in Alaska that has that truck and he came up with some kind of a fishplate deals from memory and it is soposed to be the cure for that problem??? You might want to search on here a little and I think you will find ALOT of information on that exact problem:salute:
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think you are thinking of Alaska Boss. Different problem.

I have never heard or read of the pushplates themselves pulling through.
  6. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Ooooops I thought that was about welding on some patches to stop the frame from breaking???? Must have had a Ronald Regan moment.......................
  7. This isn't the "typical" cracked frame issue on the Chevy/GMCs. This is different.
  8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

How did this happen? Any pics?
  9. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Very odd. I would love to see some pics of this as well.

So basically, the end portion of the push plates pushed right up and protruded into the frame rail?
  10. timboy

timboy Member
    from Ny

I have seen 6 or so older Chevy frames tear out as described.
    My theory is the bolts that go up through the bottom loosen and allow flexing of the metal coupled with the fact that its right wear the seam in the frame is= failure point.
    I usually weld a section of angle iron in to plate the bottom and inside of the frame in the damaged area and make a new larger tapped bolt plate for the inside of the frame.
  11. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

MY friends half ton suburban has a western unimount looks similar to your fischer mount he has had the same problem. We welded the crack quick to finish plowing. THen we made angle brackets that wrapped around the outside of the frame and bolted them into the bolt bars wiht longer bolts, It is an old truck so we wleded the bracket to the frame, if you aren't lazy like us you could drill holes and bolt it to the frame.
  12. RepoMan207

from Maine

Tony, by adding the angle iron, didn't it angle the mounts to an upward postion? Or did you add them on the inside of the rail?
  13. Sorry,

No pics, not my truck. The push plates ripped out downward from the boxed framerail when the plow was picked up off the ground. My brother tells me the welder is making good progress.

Hey Ryan,

Tough day today out on Jordan Bay. Several trucks and ATV's through the ice. The second day of the derby is cancelled tomorrow. Do you get involved in any of those recoveries??
  14. RepoMan207

from Maine

No, first I'm hearing of it. I'm house sitting for the in laws this weekend. I'm truckless right now anyway (tow truck), I sold the decaying o'le girl and I'm looking for a newer one. I stay off the ice these days....now that it's my insurance and equipment that is lol.
  15. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Motorman, we added them to the outside. We first jacked the frame back up tight, welded the crack. Then we put the mount on,w/o the bolts in the bolt bar, then fabricated the bracket to fit on the side of the frame on the truck and to wrap under the plow frame. Basically you will have to notch the bottom leg out to get around the the side of the pocket. It was a lot of trimming with the torch a little at a time. Then we ran the bolts up through the bracket we made, plow frame, truck frame, into the bolting bar. Finally the leg that is on the truck frame standing vertical we welded. (could be bolted if you drilled holes) This was on a western unimount. I think it would work if you have enough clearence in the pockest for the plow to slide in. It is hard w/o pics sorry.