1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fisher plow for 2003 2500 hd.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by stanza, Oct 23, 2003.

1. stanza

stanza Member
    from cny

I've been told that my truck cannot handle a fisher plow.
    I would be better off with a 7.5 western, and if I wanted a 8' western I would need timbrens.
    does this sound correct or am I getting the runaround?
    Id like to get a fisher, 8' for 3600.00 done deal.
    I've seen a curtis for 3600.00 done deal.
    The curtis has a sweet hookup.
    I still hear better things about the fisher though.
    Anyone out there think my truck will handle the fisher?
    Its a 2003 gmc hd2500 ext cab. It weighs 9200 lbs.
    Thanks ,Steve
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I don't know whay you can't put an 8' on there it should handel it and I would put timbrens anyways.
  3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Hi, yes I think your truck can definitely handle an 8' Fisher plow. Well before I go any further, do you have 4wd atleast and also do you have the snowplow prep package? If yes to both these questions, then yes for sure, your truck can handle the Fisher 8'HD plow. Even if you didnt have the plow prep package, you can still put that plow on I bet, just crank up the torsion bars a bit and/or put in a set of Timbrens. There is a guy on here with a very simalar truck to you that has that exact plow on it, a MM2 Fisher 8' straight blade and he says it handles the plow fine. Your truck isnt a diesel is it? If you have the diesel motor, the frontend has more weight on it already than if it was a gas motor truck. Oh by the way, your truck doesnt "weigh" 9200lbs. :D Fisher does make a 7.5' blade also, but its the RD model not the HD model. The smallest HD model is the 8' size. Timbrens are definitely a help also. Welcome to PlowSite! Mike :waving:
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2003
  4. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

? ? ? ?

One can go to any Dodge dealer around here and see at least 3 03 2500Hd new trucks with 8' Fishers on the lot ready for someone to buy . Any installers here will say it is ok .

Buy the way I have only seen Fishers installed on new trucks for a speculative sale. This must be Fisher country :)
  5. stanza

stanza Member
    from cny

thanks for the info

thanks Mike, I do have 4 wheel drive, and I do have the prep package.
    The truck is 9000 lbs not 9200, my bad.
    Would it hurt to put the timbrens on also?
    I think I'll be ordering the fisher plow this weekend!!!!
    thanks. Out
  6. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

can never hurt . They are a logical requirement when carrying a plow
  7. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Your welcome! What I meant by saying your truck doesnt weigh 9200lbs, that number is your GVW whether it be 9000, or 9200. That number isnt how much your truck weighs if you put it on a scale. Let us know how the install goes and good luck! Mike :waving:
  8. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Your truck can carry a 8ft Fisher without any probelms. ive seen truck like yours with 8ft fishers and 8ft boss plows and they dont have a problem carrying them.
  9. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

That truck can easily handle the 8' Fisher, Maybe even the 8.5', we have a 2003 with the 8', just bumped up the torsion bars a little bit and it handles it with no sag or problems. Just my two cents.

10. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

Torsion Bars

When will manufacturers offer power adjustable torsion bars for us pickup owners ?????????
  11. wyldman

wyldman Member

Like everyone else said,the Fisher won't be a problem,or any 8-8.5 ft for that matter.

I'd add the Timbrens no matter what you do.

Do a search,you'll find lots of info and advice to reassure you.
  12. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

I have a 2000 GMC 2500, with the 4500 lb front axle, and a 8600 GVW.

I just put a 8 foot Fisher Stainless steel XBlade on my truck.

I also installed Timbrens on the front, and went from 245 75R x 16 tires to 265 75R x 16 tires.

My truck handles the plow just fine

my truckplow and driveway work 001.jpg
  13. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Just want to clarify that your truck has GVWR of 9200#. All '01-03' 2500HD have that GVWR. It is the gross vehicle weight rating, which is the maximum weight your truck can legally be loaded up to.

I don't know why someone told you that you cannot put 8' Fisher HD plow on your truck. Without a doubt, your truck will easily handle that plow because I have similar truck as your. Even if your truck is a diesel, it still should be able to handle the 8' blade I believe. I also would recommend you cranking up torsion bars a few turns and add a set of Timbrens. Then you should be all set. :)
  14. stanza

stanza Member
    from cny

thanks for the help

Thanks, everyone!!
    I'll post the pics as soon as I get it!!
  15. Foz

Foz Senior Member

I have an 01 2500Hd & 02 2500HD both have Western 8 ft pro plows, no problems at all!
  16. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

If you look on every post in the past month Iceman has put his picture in just about every one..:waving: My boss has a GMC 2500HD with an 8' western and it doesn't have timbrens handles it fine. The timbrens only help keep sag to a minimum they are not a necessity.
  17. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

I'm carrying an 8 ' Fisher on a '03 2500 HD ext cab. Had plow prep and HD springs from fact. I did not need timbrens. I did slightly crank the torsion bars, but not much. I do carry about 400# at the rear of bed as per Fisher recs. Surprised no one else mentioned the rear ballast. It takes the weght of the front axle and springs, plus it goes through the snow like a tank. Also carried a 7.5 RD Fisher on it, as well as non HD. The HD has no problem with the 8 ft.
  18. wyldman

wyldman Member

Timbrens do a lot more than that.They improve handling,prevent bottoming,and help with the extra weight of the plow.Save wear and tear on the front end too.When the truck sags,the front end geometry goes out of whack,and leads to excessive front end wear.
  19. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

wyldmans new avatar title to read:

PlowSite.com Master Tech
    aka Mr. Timbren
  20. wyldman

wyldman Member

LMAO :D