1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Plow electrics question...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ian03, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

I am taking a 7.5 footer off a 95 F150 and putting it on my 03 Silverado 1500 for very light residential stuff. Can anyone explain why I need to redo all the wiring to go to a 3 plug system? Everyone is saying I have to do it, but no one can tell me why. Why do I need to spend 600 bucks on the 2-3 plug conversion and the whole E force thing?

Arc Burn, did you find anything out yet on this? Thanks for all your help guys.

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Your truck has "negative to excite" head lights on it. The wiring that came with your plow is for "positive to excite" headlights.
    The only way to make your current plow lights work is to mount a switch on the dash to power the plow lights. I did this on my first plow many years ago. Used a Single pole/Double throw switch with center off(on/off/on). Ran the hot from battery to the center pole, and the high beam wire to one pole and the low beam wire to the other pole. this operated the plow light separate from the truck head lights.
    Then I spliced my plow turn signal lights into my truck turn signal lights...

3. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

While you are correct about the negative to excite,it has nothing to do with this particular problem,Fisher has a harness (i've installed 4 or 5)that get you around the negative excite issue.The 03-04 headlights are fused differently than earlier models thus making them incompatible with the relay system harness's.

4. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

Well here are my thoughts. i am going to wire the plow lights to a 3 way toggle and since it is an 03 I can just turn my Daytime Running Lights off at the switch. May not be right, but it sure as hell isn't 600 bucks.