1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fisher plow does not raise high

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by go plow, Oct 13, 2005.

1. go plow

go plow Senior Member

i have posted this before and was wondering if i might find more info on this. i had a meyer 7.5 and i could stack snow so high with it, i bought a used truck with a 9ft fisher and the plow raises about 1 foot of the ground, i was wondering what i could do to make it raise higher, ive checked the chains they seem to be ok, ive noticed that the plow hits the stops on the frame, it has two loops welded to the head gear, i was wondering if i could cut the loops and weld smaller ones on the frame, would that help? or would i wreck the lift ram? also ive been told that its just because the plow is so big, and they dont raise like the smaller plows.....thanks guys.....

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

What model fisher, old conventional, mm1, mm2. It may be that the plow needs to be reconfigured, but need to know what model.

3. go plow

go plow Senior Member

crash ,im not sure, the truck and plow are 2002,the plow has the round pump on the head gear, i know its a hd model my friend has the first mm, with the old style pump that has the lift ram built in the pump itself, mine has a round pump and a seperate lift ram......

4. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

It sounds like your plow is in the bottom holes on the a frame. What truck is it on?

5. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

Could it be that the front of the truck dips down alot when you pick up the plow?
    That 9ft Fisher is almost certain to weigh more than the 7.5ft Meyer you said that you had.

6. go plow

go plow Senior Member

ZR7. the truck is a 2002 ford f-350 4x4 powerstroke duel wheel dump. i thought the same thing about the truck sagging, but i had someone in the truck lift the plow up and down ,and i noticed that the truck does not really move at all, at most about 1\2 inch.... also i checked today,and the a frame is in the middle holes , im not sure what that would do, by moving it into the top one,? i spoke to my fisher dealer and he told me that some of the bigger plows that fisher makes do not raise that hight off the ground..... my main problem is that when i drive down the street with the plow on the truck it rather blocks the grill of the truck or it hits the pavement...also stacking .......
    also i spoke with a freind that works for gmc and he told me that they have been putting 8.5's on the one ton trucks. because the front sags so much with the 9. and it makes the plow look like it doesnt raise high but in the gmc's case its the truck, so im told.......the stoppers that i spoke about before are about 3 1/2 to 4 '' could fishe have welded the wrong ones on the lhead gear? is that possible??? im sorry to have carried on about this i just wanted you guys to really know what i am talking about,,, thanks for your input

7. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Can you get some pictures and post them... maybe that would help to see where the a-frame is hitting the headgear. 1 foot is not a lot of movement. Also measure the hight of the truck with the plow up and with it down. I know you say it only look like 1/2", but sometime eyeballing it can be way off. Also how much slack in the chain do you have when it is lowered.... How much does the lift ram raise when it is plow is all the way up.

8. go plow

go plow Senior Member

the lift ram looks like it is raised all the way, i have noticed that the part that the chain goes to on other fishers when raised is almost straight up, mine fully raised is on a 45.. the chain with the plow lowered has some slack in it, but not much, i would say that the slack would be about two chain links.. i dont think that the problem would be the chain due to the fact that the plow hits the stopers on the head gear.....the stops on the plow are flat stock bent into a U shape and welded to the head gear... the ram fully lifted is about 12'' i think that the only real fix would be, is to cut off the stopper, but im not sure if that would cause harm to the lift ram???? thanks

9. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Are these the stops you are talking about??

If so then I think the head gear was meant for an EZ-V plow and not a straight blade...This may be your problem.

Fisher.JPG

10. go plow

go plow Senior Member

yes, those are the stops, but my head gear is the older style, i dont have the lever on the side of it .... mines not the mm2 system... thanks....i spoke to a guy that has a fisher like mine and he had told me that his doesnt lift high, so im thinking that its just the way they are,,, im going to try to cut the stops of and make them smaller them reweld them back on, i hope this will make it raise a bit more without doing damage to my lift ram...........does any one know it it will????? thanks.....

11. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

frozen, can you find and post the picture of where the blade pins up to the headgesr? there is an adjustment there also and i thinking he may also be in the wrong holes ther along with the stops getting in the way.

12. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Install the a frame on the top holes and the plow will raise up higher, just make sure the a frame is level when it's lowered

13. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Is this what you mean??

Fisher2.JPG

14. go plow

go plow Senior Member

my plow is set in the middle hole, im going to try moving it this weekend see if that changes anything, a freind of mine told me to try the same thing, but he told me that the plow would have less angle on the blade in the top hole. i dont think that the angle would be an issue??? thanks guys!!! you all are great!!!!