1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher plow creeping

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by philt, Oct 19, 2000.

1. philt

philt Junior Member

Just purchased a 1988 f-350 with a 9' fisher that creeps down. Would this be linkage adjustment, piston or pump. What is the best way to trouble shoot? Thanks

2. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

1st change fluid, 2nd check pressure and hoses

3. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Philt,

Could be piston, valve body, hose, or cable adjustment(way off). The pump is most likely OK, if it can lift the blade. Once it is lifted, it is the valves job to hold the pressure in the line, to keep the blade up. Any leak will cause it to drop. Is it a electric/hydro setup or the belt driven pump style. The more info the better...

Dave

4. zigler

zigler Junior Member

creeping

contact fisher.com and post your question. go to the experts.

5. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

The website for Fisher is http://www.fisherplows.com/ They don't really have a section at their site to pose technical questions. The site tells you to talk to your local dealer about service questions. You can find your local dealer through the site. I contacted the Fisher "experts" and they weren't much help. They don't even offer a service manual like I've seen for other plows. Stick to hitting your local dealer with the tech questions.

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

My Fisher came with a combo owners/service manual. 50 +/- pages. If I find it Ill post up what they recommend.

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

What type of control, hydraulic underhood pump/cable or SEHP?

Check for leaks at packings and fittings, on SEHP systems the 2 way valve, if damaged or defective will be the culprit.

8. philt

philt Junior Member

Thanks for the tips,
    The unit is hydraulic under the hood with cables.

philt

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Lift piston seal.
    Dino

10. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

>>Lift piston seal<<

Probably not. That's a single acting cylinder, if the leak was internal to the cylinder there would be oil coming out around the pushrod seal when the plow leaked down. If ti was double acting you could have leakage around the piston itself and never see it on the outside, but not on a SA cylinder. Check the cables first, make sure they are adjusted to allow the valve to close completely. If nothing else, lift the plow and unhook the control cable at the valve end. If it keeps dropping, problem is in the valve, if the settling stops then the problem is in the cable, which is holding the valve open slightly.

11. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I agree with alan, It is a single acting cylinder, unless someone messed with it. Only there is no reason for a double acting cylinder.

Geoff

12. plowking35

from SE CT

Being 12 years old, my guess still is the piston. All the ones that I have owned have creeped, a quick rebuild and they no longer creeped down. You can try adjusting the cables at the valve body, but that is very tedious, in frankly unless the plow is dropping to the ground every minute, not something I would worry about to much.
    Dino

13. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Dino,, no need to get huffy when someone disagrees with you, but you DO seem awfully mature for being only 12. :)

Anyhow,, single acting cylinder, one hose in and out. Only other place oil can get out is around the pushrod. If the rod is extended and it leaks down the oil has to go either back out the hose (bad valve or leaky hose) or weep past the internal seals and show as a leak around the pushrod seal. Most likely the pushrod seal is not intended to hold pressure, merely acts as a wiper to keep crud from getting in the cylinder.

When you had cylinders rebuilt, were they leaking around the pushrod? If not, where was the oil going? I know that theory says it either has to go back out the hose or daylight at the pushrod, so I'd like to know what I'm missing here.

14. plowking35

from SE CT

Mine always showed some leakage around the the rod. He didnt say if that was the case or not. I very well may be wrong, however I will repeat, that unless the piston is dropping at a fast rate, I wouldnt worry about it.
    Dino