1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fisher plow control shorting out/buring up board

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by azyfd, Jan 23, 2013.

1. azyfd

azyfd Junior Member
    from medford

i have a 2000 ford super duty with a fisher mm1 plow.
    the other night in the middle of a storm my joy stick control stopped working so figureing the control died i put my spare one on raised the plow and that one stopped working.took them both apart both green boards in side had the wires fried from the on off switch to the raise switch. once this happens all other functions stop working but red light stays on. i looked over my harness a few times cant find anything wrong. the next day i took wire to jump the conntection in the board to test it before burning another control worked fine all directions a few times each then burned up some more. any ideas as to what this could be? the plug to the solinoids seemed a little went maybe thats shorting it?
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Shorting out somewhere how is your wiring going to your underhood solenoid ??
  3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I went through 3 v-plow control boards on my 99 F-350 diesel. Boards used to blow right when starting truck. We tested all plow and truck wiring and voltages, checked the batteries and alternator. Still was blowing boards. We would actually start truck then plug in control to keep boards from blowing. On a whim, I tried a new alternator (again old one tested fine) and have not had the problem since. Alternator was cheaper then the 3 control boards.

Something to try.
  4. azyfd

azyfd Junior Member
    from medford

haven't found any bad wires yet going to try a new plug from plow to truck for the solenoids looks a little shi**y. and going to try the alternator thanks for the ideas
  5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Shorting out solenoid or shorting inside the little box on the valve body that has the coils. or a bad coil
  6. azyfd

azyfd Junior Member
    from medford

tore the truck apart today. found some chaffed wires going to the control box and the plug from truck to plow wasn't so good looking. fixed the wires and replaced the plug along with looked over the rest of the harness all seems good picked up a control and so far its been good now i jut need his snow storm to pick up so i can make back so money