1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher plow blade ID help.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by John23234, Sep 23, 2009.

1. John23234

John23234 Junior Member
    from Mass

Hello everyone, new to the site. Great site with tons of info.

I have a plow blade interchange question.

I have purchased a MM1 plow setup that was originaly installed on a 1996 Ford F250 when the truck was purchased new. It was supplied with a 7.5" blade.

I need help to determine what headgear I have and how to identify a compatable 8' blade that will work with this unit, if that's possible.

I am going to mount the plow on a 1996 Chevy K3500 4X4. The contract I am seeking requires an 8' blade on 1 ton pickups.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Some pics would help id what you have.

3. John23234

John23234 Junior Member
    from Mass

Plow setup pictures

Here are some pictures of the plow I am trying to ID.

This was installed new on a 1996 F250.

The blade in the pictures is 7.5.

Can I install an 8' blade on this rig? What style blade do I need?

Thanks in advance,

John

K3500 plow 001.jpg

K3500 plow 002.jpg

K3500 plow 003.jpg

K3500 plow 004.jpg

K3500 plow 005.jpg

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

As far as I know, an 8 footer will fit. Just take a few measurements and put them on a drawing along with your pics When you go to look at blades. Your a-frame pivot needs to fit in the new blade. Measure the height/length of that pipe section on the front. Measure across your blade for the distance between the ram connection points. And take a measurement of that "octagonal" section. I don't know what the real name of that is LOL. And you might get real lucky, and find that an old QuickSwitch/Speedcast blade will fit. Those are a dime a dozen, there are so many of them. I think they do, there wasn't much need to redesign them when they went to MM. You'll probably find a nine foot blade would fit too.

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

That there is what you call an L Blade. You have a SEHP style pump. Which they no longer make...The blade that is. The center pin on your "A" frame has been changed out at some point as well. It shouldn't effect mounting if that other blade has been mounted up since.

Check out my thread on what I did to the same year plow.....http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=73268

I think I already know your answer, but you'll need to take some measurements to see exactly which headgear you have, which will then tell you what if anything you can put on it.

Verify there is 22.5" from fork to fork.......

[​IMG]

If so, you have the setup to the left of this diagram....You can't put a 8' on that headgear even if you changed out A frames. Let me know if it comes up at a different measurement.

[​IMG]

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hey Ryan - what would prevent him from mounting a 8' L blade on his existing A frame?

7. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Depends on the a-frame, the shorter A will probably have the back of the board hitting the front corners of the truck.

With a 1 ton dually, i would go with a 8.5 balde if they will let you in the contract. A 8 angled off puts you right on the edge of driving over your windrow with the rears.

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

The Ears on the underside of the "A" frame will hit against the Angle Frame on the plow long before it reaches the center pin to be mounted as the A frame on the 22240 is shorter then that on the 22250 (in other words the ears sit further forward then that of the A frame the blade was designed for, preventing just this scenario.) In the case one found a certain application were it could be mounted (fabricated or otherwise) the rams wouldn't line up, they would be off set.....and there is always the ears getting in the way of the angle frame, preventing it to angle more then say 10% in either direction as the angle frames are wider on the HD vs. the RD/HD blades (it would hit against the back of the flat stock.) But in this certain case, it would never even be able to be pinned up unfortunately.

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

Absolutely, I occasionally have problems with my 8' on my single wheeler in certain situations.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks. Learning everyday.

To the OP John. You might be able to work a trade. 8 footers are plentiful up here, you might find someone looking for a 7.5. Or just put yours up for sale.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Even with the 8.5 XV in dogleg, I can run over my tracks. Planning on adding wings this year.

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

I found a 9' for $200, just the blade that will pin right up. Now, I am thinking of selling mine all together and getting a XV or a XLS. Sick of chasing spill off on certin accounts.......or, on second thought, I could get one of those back blades :rolleyes:. Screw that, if I was going to spend $6k it would be on a XLS first.

13. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

I've also thought about going from a 7,5 to a 8 by just changing the blade.SO to make a long story short.IT can't be done correct ??

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe?:dizzy:

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

No....It can't be done. That A frame and headgear tops out at 7.5'

16. RepoMan207

from Maine

Sell it, I saw 2 or 3 8' MM1 for only around a grand on CL....there right in NH too.

17. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

After reading this thread if u wanna get out of it let me know Thanks