1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fisher plow advise

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by gmcsirrra, Dec 13, 2014.

1. gmcsirrra

gmcsirrra Member
    from maine

I have a 2011 gmc sierra 1500 ext cab and don't know whether if I should go with a fisher SD series or the HD series pros cons advise opinions are greatly appreciated note ( truck has 2 inch leveling kit front and rear )

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What's the weight difference.between the two?

3. cdmckane

cdmckane Member

I believe both of these plows are more suited for 3/4 ton trucks. I'd be looking at a Western HTS or a Fisher Homesteader.

4. gmcsirrra

gmcsirrra Member
    from maine

200 pounds roughly

5. gmcsirrra

gmcsirrra Member
    from maine

the homesteder just isn't enough of a plow to suit my needs

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

What do you plan on plowing? Does EZ match even recommend the HD?

Know plenty of people that have put an HD on a 1500, including fisher dealer. You also have HT as an option but I would suggest the HD. Go bigger than you think you may need.

7. Lcmains1

Lcmains1 Member

Fisher plows are heavy (900 lbs +) I have a xv2 and a xls. The xv2 is on a 2500HD and will "sag" the front end with timbrens. The Xls is a little heavier and I have that on a 1 ton. I wouldn't put either on a half ton, the balde would drag on the ground. I have been happy with both plows

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What's your needs then....You never specified as to what your doing

9. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

Go to the Fisher website and use the easy match. If it doesn't suggest you use the plow you want then you might have to beef up your front end or try another manufacturer like SnowDogg. Lots of people put bigger plows on their trucks then is recommended but I've always felt that they engineer their products for a reason so I prefer to match the plow to the truck.

10. kimber750

Put a 8.5' XV on 2008 2500HD today. Crew cab short bed with duramax. Truck sags 1" when lifting plow in scoop. Is it over over FAWR, most likely but it carries it very well. This is with no adjustment of torsion bars.

11. 82k10ny

82k10ny Junior Member
    from latham

e match reccomends either a 7'6" ht or sd plow the ht being 414 lbs the sd is 487. the ht gives 1 inch taller mold board and option for 1/2 cutting edge but is 2 inches narrower at full angle. 6'7". i would say you could hang either off it with no issues. you could look into a blizzard 8000 lt if you needed a little wider blade at roughly the same weight 476lbs. and there basically a fisher copy only full board trip and direct lift hydros. a 7'6" hd is 630 lbs and to get a 8 footer your 700+...

12. gmcsirrra

gmcsirrra Member
    from maine

I got 15 drive ways I would like to go with the HD but I don't know how much if it will make my truck sag vs the sd considering I put a 2'' leveling kit in anyone here have a 1500 extended cab with an fisher HD ? also planned on putting in 300-400 pounds of tube sand in the bed going the length of my rear axle

13. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

My brother in law has one on his truck . He uses it for driveways .It holds it fine. Been on there for 4 years no problems yet. He did tiurn up the bars.Its a chevy extended cab half ton.

14. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

Gotta love the morons that are talking about V plows and 2500's...:dizzy:

15. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

Your ballast should be placed at the tailgate not over the rear axel. Go to the different manufacturers web sites, do some reading, talk to different dealers that sell and install plows. Get their opinions and then make your decision.

16. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

they love their v's...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  17. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Go with the HD. The SD is a great plow but, I think you will be a lot better off with the HD with 15 driveways.

18. kimber750

That post was in response to the guy saying that his 2500 sags even with timbrens. So try reading before you call someone a moron, moron. Thumbs Up

19. gmcsirrra

gmcsirrra Member
    from maine

I chuckled when I saw someone recommending me the xls and the xv2 for a half ton ? hahahaha that's asking for problems

20. gmcsirrra

gmcsirrra Member
    from maine

hey quigleysiding think you could possibly get a picture and post it id much appreciate it