1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher paint?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by kmrconstruction, Dec 11, 2011.

1. kmrconstruction

kmrconstruction Junior Member

In the process of repainting my V plow and am reading mixed reviews on Fishers paint. I have a quart that someone gave me, should I use it or buy some better automotive paint. Want it to look good for a while. It is getting sandblasted as we speek

2. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

Imron Paint

[​IMG]I do paint and body work for living and build trucks. If you look at my plow I just painted it and used imron paint on it. It's not cheap, but at the end of the day it will hold up over time.It's made by DuPont.

Fisher plow 004.JPG

3. kmrconstruction

kmrconstruction Junior Member

Looks like its brand new. What color did you use or was it a custom color?

4. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

I would have to look on the car and get back to you tomorrow night. I had to get 2 gallons for a truck I had to paint and there was enough left over to do my plow. I asked the man if I could keep the rest of what was left over and he asked me for what. When I told him what I was going to do with the left over he said by all means. I painted his old Chevy truck that color and to me it looks very close to Fisher yellow. I also sand blasted it and used epoxy primer. Going to the new Fisher head lights and all new wiring on the truck and plow. I got the lights in today and the new wiring

5. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't use it,its junk IMO just to watery and takes forever to dry I used this paint plowguy recommended.Ground down rust,sanded,primed and painted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  6. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

Well if it's junk they put on air planes every day and it holds up. They put it on tracter trailers and the Rigs everyday and it holds up. It's one of the hardest paints you can get and or buy for being junk. It's so hard after it dries you can't wet sand it if you F something up. Just sand it down and start over. yet it's junk........LOL

7. chevyzrule810

Let me rephrase that.If your going to roll or brush it on its very hard to work with.I'm on the fence about using the half gallon of fisher paint I have sitting in the garage to have my neighbors body shop paint it up.It ran down the front and back of the blade and I painted one side at a time.

8. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

I hope you don't think I was out of line and you are so very right about ( You can't brush or roll it on like other paint. I don't know of one auto paint you can do that with right off hand, but not saying there isn't. If done right he would be happy with what ever type of paint. Some will hold up and some will not. Yellow is a very thin paint when and it's hard to get it to cover. You can get Lead based yellow and it covers great after 2 coats, but you can only get the through the supply house from where I understand here in Pa

9. chevyzrule810

No not out of line.If your going to use the fisher paint spray it.The reason I say I liked the paint I used is because I've seen one done with the same paint and it looks great.The guy at the auto body supply store sold me some harder to mix with it,said it will harden it and keep it from chaulking when the sun hits it.A paint job is only as good as how it was prepped.