1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher paint

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by chevyzrule810, Dec 4, 2011.

1. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm repainting one of my customers plows.He wants to paint it with the fisher paint.Its been sanded down cleaned with acetone,primed and painted with one coat of fisher paint.After letting it sit overnight I went and checked it this morning.The paint on the front and back of the blade ran down last night. I put it on with a foam roller and it still runs.Any suggestions? Maybe spray it with a sprayer?

2. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

Sorry to hear you have runs. I run a paint and body for a company and when I paint a plow I always paint one side at a time. My plow is in the paint bay right now, but to your problem Your going to have to sand the runs out the then pray the paint on in thin coats. Let each coat get tackie to the touch until you put the next coat on and repeat until your happy with the way it looks. I will get pictures of mine in the paint shop today, but not sure how to upload them to the forum

3. chevyzrule810

I painted the backside first let it dry then painted the front.What grit do you usually use to sand the runs out?

4. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

In your case I would use 180 and go from there. On mine I went 180. 220 to 320. I just wanted it to look as new as it could. I painted the a-fram and springs today black. What a pain to get the springs off of the plow. Now the fun part will be getting them back on the plow. Wish me luck

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

read here how i got mine back on fairly easy . http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=129036

6. chevyzrule810

can you post some pictures of what it looks like when its done

7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

When I restored my MM1, I used SEM Metal Bonding Paint, they had the Fisher Yellow as a color choice. It was sprayed in a both and baked, a few runs were wet sanded out but nothing crazy. Went on MUCH thicker than Fisher's paint. That stuff was very thin IMO.

RAM5.JPG

8. chevyzrule810

plowguy where did you get the paint?

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

10. chevyzrule810

sweetk my customer dropped the fisher paint off with the plow otherwise I would use rustoleum sunburst or safety yellow

11. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

A body shop I work with picked it up for me. It was $100 for a gallon plus hardener.

12. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

The problem with most paint today is, in the past there was lead in the paint and now there's not so it don't hold up like it did in the past. Through the supply shop you can still buy lead based paint and it will hold up longer. You have to ask for it by name or you do here in Pa.

13. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

[​IMG] I hope this works, Pictures of my painted plow on a Lifted 6"Ram

14. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

pic dose not work.

15. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  16. chevyzrule810

I just finished painting the plow that had the fisher paint that was running.I sanded down all the runs and repaint with the sem paint plowguy suggested. It looks much better then the fisher paint I think.Here are some pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

pictures? My wife thinks I got a newer plow. I told her no it is my old plow with new paint.Will be installing all new wiring before the real snow gets here. I also need to install my new fisher intensifier head lights, but I have to do some work on the head gear first and also repaint some parts after I do the work. Will post more pictures as I go along