1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher or Sno way V

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by M&SLawnCare, Nov 13, 2013.

1. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare Junior Member

I'm planning to toss the pos meyer straight blade that came with my 99 f250 this year and upgrade to a V plow. These are the 2 brands offered locally. The fisher is 5300ish if I install it myself (6k for the SS) and the sno way is 6k installed with the wireless remote.

I like the idea behind the sno way better, lighter plow with DP making up for it. Direct lift system is a plus. Also I prefer this dealer over the fisher. My worry is reliability as I don't really have a viable backup plow truck. I have a jeep wrangler with a sno way plow on it, and in its first year had the module die once, and then had to retrain the module to the remote one other time. Are these things reliable and I happened to get a bad module?

I will be the only one using the truck so it wont be beat to hell, and I do mostly driveways with a few commercial parking lots. Looking for people with actually experience with each brand. Thanks

2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Honestly, with the amount of snow you get, get the yellow Fisher and save yourself some money.

3. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

My first year with my Fisher HT however in my neck of the woods, including the DPW my dad works for, its all Fisher with occasional Boss thrown in. My thoughts are go with Fisher.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you reread your own post, the answer is there. It's unlikely the manufacturer could pull premium money in an extremely competitive market for for a consistently unreliable product.

Nobody builds a perfect product. Everything has quirks and occasional problems. Key is dealer support to take care of you.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

a supplier provided a bad batch on receivers at one point. The factory has recalled all those units. Outside of that the snoway control system has proven very dependable.

6. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Fisher xv-2. Hands down. 3x the plow. Mine was 5400 installed, but XV-1 not xv-2. Wish I had the xv2.

7. Buswell Forest

from NH

Spring for them to install the fisher....that way they are on the hook for gremlins, God forbid.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

to figure out where they're going to fit all the wiring components under the hood.:laughing:

You have lots of personal experience with them??? The Fisher is heavy but not three times heavier.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have experience with the Snoway along with your Fisher?

10. Buswell Forest

from NH

No time spent with a Snoway. But the video they put out, and the "features" they list....sorry, it's not in the same league as the XV-2 Fisher. Not even close.

11. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Snoway's 29 vplow I would a year or two before they get the bugs out. I own a later model megaway v plow and let's say for a premium plow it has way to many issues.

And for the ones saying the new one is the latest and greatest? I say they have been making plows for a long time and still have some basic issues to say the least.

Just look at the v plow hinge and ask if its enough surface area to carry the load without oblonging holes. Ask where you would put the grease and how long it would stay there?

For the new design headlights what keeps them roatating forward and back when you hit a snow bank? Its a screw in a slotted hole. How long till that loosens up?

12. terrain1

terrain1 Junior Member

I have both a sno way and a fisher v plow. To clarify I have a sno way 29hd and a fisher v. Both plows have been reliable, but I am switching to fisher plows as the dealer is 30 miles closer. I would go with the better servicing dealer. I have the ez switch wings on the sno way and have found that the v is faster but not by that much for the types of accounts I do. Good luck with your decision.

13. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I have the fisher and it's been good to me. But i would stay with what you got as your truck is getting old and I bet a new or newer truck will be on it's way soon. Then when you get a newer truck invest in a new plow.

14. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with this. I see everybody going out & spending a lot of time & money by scrapping what they have, probably taking a bath on whatever parts you can sell, and buying something new. Unless the old plow is total junk, make it work with the old truck & buy a new truck/plow combo whenever that day comes. I think people are asking for more headaches tearing out stuff & adding in new. Electrical stuff has already been tampered with. Like with the body, the more you mess with it, the more risk of infection!

I'm also not sold on the value of the XV2 for the big increase in weight. My XV does a great job & is plenty heavy as it is! Just my $.02

15. Buswell Forest

from NH

I like the X-V-2 for the added hight and added curl of the moldboards. Should allow you to make headway at more than 6 mph without being inundated with snow in the windshield...

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The rubber deflector will help greatly with that on light fluffy snow

17. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

the Sno-Way forum didnt get pulled from the sight cause too many people were complimenting them. But if you do want one i have one for sale.

18. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

The Fisher is a lot like the western, i have owned a sno-way 9' straight and the western.. Hands down the western kills the sno-way..
    All the guys on here love their Fisher plows..... Go Fisher.. Check out the XLS expanding

19. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

LOL.....:laughing:
    That sums it up

20. Buswell Forest

from NH

I am fabricating a full length deflector, so the center hinge area is covered too.
    When I do get it scienced out, I will share it with the group. I am NOT paying the price that fisher dealers want for those half assed plastic things. I can build much better for the same or less. I thought about trying to get it patented and selling it, but I think that would be a waste of time. The makers would just make one a little different. Don't know why they haven't yet. It's not hard.