1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher or Meyer??

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by coolhand51, Apr 18, 2010.

1. coolhand51

coolhand51 Junior Member

Hi, I have been moving snow for 10+ years using my tractor locally [55HP New Holland 4WD]

However after this winter in the east, and the fact I am not getting younger I want to equip one of my trucks with a plow. Locally there are fisher and meyers dealers close for parts etc.

So, I have 2 trucks I am considering - would really appreciate opinions on which truck and which plow would be best / optimum.

My uses would be driveways [long country with hills, both paved and gravel] and some light road / lots.

Truck 1 2005 F250 with 6.0 diesel, 4wd, short bed crew cab - 60K miles

Truck 2 1999 F350 with 7.3 diesel Dually 4WD, Long bed super cab. 92k miles

I am leaning toward the 99 Dually - but can would buy 1 mount for this year, then possibly as second mount for the other truck next year.

Thanks, Coolhand

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Is neither an option?

3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I agree. Given those choices, I choose Western! :D

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Western is just an inbred cousin of Fisher.

Boss or Snoway would be my first two choices. Probably Buyer's after that.

5. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Exactly. They have the same great hydraulics, they just plow good... unlike a Fisher. :D

Coolhand doesn't know what he started here. :laughing:

6. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

If that is your choice use the 2005, it will give you better turning radius and in general be alot easier to use for driveway's and tight areas. If you want a plow that will work for both trucks make sure you get one wide enough for the dually. Maybe a V blade? And between the options of plows you have given us to choose from there is only one choice and thats anything but meyer.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hey, at least it wasn't me this time :D

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Oh yeah, Vee plows are the most versatile.

9. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Go with the fisher. It is a great plow. BTW dont waste your money on a V-plow being in VA.

10. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You should go with a Fisher IMO. I've had great luck with every Fisher I have ever owned.

11. Mackman

from S.E. PA

x2 they are a great plow

12. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

For once I agree with Mackman, but then again I've never tried a plow other then a fisher. If Fisher wasn't an option, from what I read I'd choose a Boss.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The F250 has the most available front axle capacity and would be the most versatile, easier to maneuver,requiring less blade width to be effective.

As for blade choices they all have their idiosyncrasies, good dealer support should be your first concern. Use the search feature in the forums menu bar, you will find as many different opinions of which plow is best as you will find posters.:nod:

As for a Vee blade in VA, why not? The major advantage of the a center hinged wing blade if the scoop function not the Vee. While the wing back position is effective and a Godsend when necessary the wing forward position is the time saver. Why units like Snowdogg's XP are gaining popularity.

http://www.snowdoggplows.com/snowDoggXP.html

14. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Oh boy Palmer.....3 People including me that like Fishers.:gunsfiring::gunsfiring:...Go with Fisher, its a Good Plow IMO....:waving:

15. Matson Snow

Wait a Minute...That makes 4 People that like Fisher....What is this World coming to....:eek::laughing:

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Aahhhhh!!!!!!!

I'm running for cover :laughing:

My problems and opinions of Fisher are well documented on this site.

17. Mackman

from S.E. PA

I think its going to snow tonight!!!! lol:drinkup:

18. Mackman

from S.E. PA

If thats the case then an XLS or a wideout will be better.

19. Matson Snow

Yes they are and i do feel for you.....:help::help:

20. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Boss would be my 2nd choise for a plow. But Fisher is definatly my favorite.