1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher or Hiniker V plows.....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mjstef, Sep 22, 2010.

1. mjstef

mjstef Senior Member

I have grown exponentially and have 40+ homes to plow this winter. This is on an as needed basis on for sale homes. Last winter i only did 10 homes with a 4 wheeler. I have a 95 F350 Powerstroke so i have plenty of options. I am looking at Hiniker and Fisher v's My area is a HUGE Boss area but i was not impressed that they don't trip in V config.and also they only have a single action cylinder. Fisher seems to be the fastest and it will turn like a normal plow with one button instead of having to hold 2 buttons to turn. Both are trip edges and both are about the same weight.Hiniker looks super fast to hook up. What are the pro's and con's of each? Dealers are not a concern as i can get parts for both next day out of Spokane and all the houses i will maintain are vacant so no worries about anyone getting out. Price on a fisher 8.5 foot is $400 less delivered to my door than a Hiniker. Fisher also has a 7.5. Would a 7.5 cover my truck in v?

2. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

7.5 would be to small. I'd go with a 8.5 v or 9.5 v.

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You should get the 8.5' Fisher Xtreme V IMO. Unluss you have a 1/2 ton then I don't recomend any V plow unles you "beef up" your front suspencion and then get a 7.5' Fisher Xtreme V.

4. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Fisher.... Depending on the size of these drives though a back blade may be better for you.

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

when in v mode tripping is really not a big issue, the angle of the plow relative to the obstacle allows it to ride up and over.

I've always run fishers but there is nothing wrong with boss, definitely go with at least the 8.5 unless you have a 1/2 ton.

6. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

no support for the Hiniker, the reason i ask is that is the only dealer i have around here, so if i buy a plow this year, it well be Hiniker or SnowDogg (based on prices)

7. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I run a 8.5 Hiniker V (steel) on my F350 and it has served me well over the years. I really like their new poly and upgraded features. I'd buy another.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Go with the Poly Hiniker...

Direct Lift is far superior to chain...and Hinikers are built bulletproof.

9. mjstef

mjstef Senior Member

Southland Trailer Corp. in Lethbridge is about the closest dealer for me that stocks anything but i hate to have to cross the border........

10. mjstef

mjstef Senior Member

3 things i have found that i really do not like about Fisher is the trip edge leaves a gap to wedge stones in when it trips. Hiniker has a pinch free trip edge. I cannot find the height of the trip edge on a Fisher but the Hiniker is 9". Looks like the fisher is 6" Fisher also does not have wing stops and it looks like that would cause a lot of stress on the rams and hinge assembly as the majority of your weight plowing is of course on the winged back side of the blade.

I do like the Fisher Fish Stik a LOT better than the Hiniker control though. The blade lock that makes it like a straight plow is sweet. I wonder with the wiring diagrams for both if a Fish Stik could be adapted to the Hiniker wiring??

This pic shows the Hiniker wing stops........

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  11. mjstef

mjstef Senior Member

If you look at this pic there is a notched quadrant, it looks like in the event of a pump failure you can put the plow in float position, ram a snowbank to get the plow up, flip the quadrant back to hold the plow up and go to the shop.

[​IMG]

12. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

they are the only plow dealer PERIOD south of Calgary, that i can find, good guys there though.

13. mjstef

mjstef Senior Member

Can anyone comment on the speed of the hiniker vs the fisher??

14. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

If you have a good Boss dealer near you, I wouldn't be afraid to go check them out. They are definitely a quality blade.

15. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds to me you have already sold yourself on the Hinker...Judgeing by the pictures it looks like a Quaility Plow....Dealer support is a BIG issue and if you dont like the Boss dealer and are comfortable withe the Hinker dealer...Go for it...I dont think you can make a Bad choice in this situation...Good luck with your purchase...:drinkup:

16. mjstef

mjstef Senior Member

Hiniker dealer is 120 miles south of me. Same distance for Fisher. No dealers but Boss around here. I don't like the spring loaded wings and Boss's crappy control. Double acting cyl's IMHO is the only way to go but then again i am an old farmboy. As far as dealer support I am not afraid to turn a wrench if something breaks. I have re-built excavators and semi trucks from the ground up. Plows are a cakewalk. I will most likely order mine unassembled as no dealers around here can come within 6-800$ of the price i can get back east even if i do pay $250 for shipping.

The Fisher has better controls and is 400-500$ cheaper but the Hiniker has a taller trip edge which would be helpful as most of my plowing will be rural and it also has wing stops so the rams are not taking all the pressure. I just wanted to see if anyone had a personal experience on the speed of a Hiniker. The western is almost identical to the fisher and the mounting system is great!

WISH LIST:

A plow with Western Ultra Mount System (love the removable sockets on truck side for summer!!!)
    Hiniker 9" tall no pinch trip edge, wing stops and super heavy center hinge.
    Hiniker Hyd Lift instead of a chain.
    Fisher lighting, cab control, Hydraulics and XTreme V blade flared like a Meyer Super V.
    Snow Dogg grease fittings on pivot points.

Ultimatly it's looking like a Fisher or Western.....................................

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  17. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

with the spring return on the boss, its super fast for the return, also replacing a spring is much easier, faster and heck of a lot cheaper then a return cyl. i've been around western,meyer,fisher,and hinikers, and am set on the boss. they all have pro's and con's. the first one i'd take in to mind is that you have a dealer close. ALL PLOWS break down sooner or later. yes even brand new ones can have something go wrong. good luck

18. mjstef

mjstef Senior Member

Dealers don't concern me. I fix most anything myself. Still don't care for their control.

19. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I have to disagree with the DD plow having better controls than the Boss. The DD handheld sucks. No one button should control two functions, although I do like the overall size of the controller. The Boss is actually really easy to use once you understand how it works, and holding two buttons down is not as big of a deal as most people make it out to be. Plus, you have the double touch up or down which is nice. Sounds like you are sold on the Hiniker though. Another thing you should look at is how heavy the plows are. What size are you looking for?

20. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I agree! I love my Western's, and they are basically the same as a Fisher. That would be my choice.