1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher or Curtis?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dockboy, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Hey guy's

My brother called me today asking for some advice.

He lives in VT(near Manchester)
    Has a 2001 F-150 7700 Company truck and will be mounting a plow for back up plowing and extra help for big snows(The business has a dedicated plow truck with sander)
    Company is buying plow so cost is not neccesarilly main concern.

They have a Curtis dealer in town and I know from being up there, Fishers are all over the place.

He likes the ease and mounting of the Curtis, but I have never seen one. I know all about the fisher. He will be mounting a 7.5.

Can anyone give me some experience or thoughts between the two. Remember, this will not be a route or snow removal business set up.

2. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I run a 7½ ft. Cutis on my truck. This will be my forth season with it plowing residential customers. So far, I have no complaints !

If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to try and help, or send you some pics. But generally, the plow is very similar to a Western. The angle of attack is very steep, so it has great scraping ability, the push beam behind the plow is a bit longer than the Western, and while it is a full trip blade there are stops that limit the trip to about ½ way so the moldboard won't go flat to the ground like a Western. I was torn between the Western and Curtis when I bought this plow, but what really helped make up my mind was how high / tight to the truck the Curtis mount is. I don't have any part of the frame hanging low like the Westerns did limiting the ground clearance.

And Yes, I'd buy another.
  3. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I've seen the Curtis set ups at the NY BBQ's and they looked like great plows. Might be a dealer close to me now because I actually saw one just yesterday sitting in a lot, first one around here. From what I saw I wouldn't hesitate using one, and hopefully people that actually own them will chime in. They may have in past discussions about them also, so try a Search too.
  4. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Thanks Rob and BRL:D

Rob, I checked out the Curtis site and liked what I saw. Especially the way the truck mount is so high.

Keep them coming guy's

5. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

Did you get the Curtis? I'm still debating between Fisher and the Curtis. The way the Curtis goes on looks real easy.
  6. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

Go with the fisher. Two of my friends were curtis dealers, one in NY and one in CT. After all the problems with the plows, wiring harnesses and getting no where with the factory, they don't sell the plows anymore. One of my friends couldn't even get rid of the plows for $1500. Curtis seems to be losing more dealers than it is getting, at that rate i'd go with the fisher.

Just some inside advice, as i worked at one of the plow shops and most of the work was on curtis's.

7. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

I'd have to say to strongly consider after sale support. You can have 3-4 dealers in your area that all sell one brand plow, but if none of them are worth their salt, then that brand of plow isn't going to set well with the owner if it's spending down time from parts wait and repairs. The Curtis dealer near me is kind of shaky (IMHO) and an overwhelming majority of local plowers use the Meyers, Boss, Fisher, Blizzard names since the dealers are there providing support.