1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher or Boss? Lets beat a dead horse some more?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Letissnow, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Letissnow

Letissnow Junior Member

Getting back into plowing. Been running loader for the past 2 years for another company but missing doing it on my own. I used to have a poly pro western, but sold it with my truck. I was pretty set on a boss then I went and looked at a Fisher? I want to know ur guys thoughts on the two, problems, advantages, etc. I can get a 9'6" V-Plow(Fisher) for about 4300 w/o installation. Gonna have my buddy who installs them do it on the side.
    Or, 8'2" Boss V-Plow for about 4900 installed w/smartlocks, and snow deflector and handheld controller. Just want to know what you guys think.
    Ive actually been studying the two plows for a while and know quite a bit but I want an unbiased opinion on how people like or dont like either of them.

And yes I have looked at blizzard but dont want 955 lbs on the front of my truck

My truck 03 GMC Sierra 2500HD :gunsfiring: :alien:
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I've own a 9.5fisher I've ran a 9.5 western and a 10' Boss

The new fishstik is much improved over the old POS "mode button" controller in terms of use. The old controler is a PITA and i wouldnt wish it appon my competiton. The new controler is ok but comparitivly the boss controller is still much better though.

Boss is faster although the fisher and western operate at a usable speed.

Boss and fisher/western are both well built plows IMO but boss has one major design flaw. Thier tripping sucks. Boss uses a full trip were fisher/western uses a trip edge.

I have a Bias oppinion becasue i feel that western/fisher is better overall because it has a trip edge and trips in all positions. I used a boss first, and bought a fisher for my 03, my dad used a boss and bought a western for his 05 550. "supposedly" if you strike an obstruction with a boss the wings fold straight and the plow just trips normally, a perfect world tra la la la......I got the coffee stains down the AC vents to prove that it will bring a 550 with a loaded transfer tank and a contractor box full of tools to a dead stop. Boss also comes back at you with a vengence when it returns if it does trip. If you hit something hard with the fisher or the western the plow jums straight up in the air. It will make you think its trying to send itself into orbit if you hit something hard but at least the damn truck didnt come to a complete stop. The tripping has shown in our use that the plow takes one hell of a beating and tears it self up.

I plow larger commercial mostly and plow agressivly.

Just my expereinces and JMO

If you buy a fisher/western buy an extra set of cutting edges to slap on when you wear yours(dont want to have to wait on getting a pair, made that mistake :eek: ) throw your plow shoes in the bed unless you are on gravel, and get the non mode button fishstik.
  3. Jone43

Jone43 Member

Used both of them, currently have a Western but they are are both quality plows. I think now and days it is all personal preference.
  4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Your not comparing apples to apples.

You should skip the Smartlocks (I never needed them) and DEFINATELY skip the BOSS deflector (Its WAY overpriced for what it is), and I would suggest the 9'2".

Other than that, carry on....
  5. Ben

Ben Member

I just had a boss 8'2" v installed, love the plow this is my second boss, great quality IMO. Go with the 9'2" if you can I would have but the dealer was sold out.