1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher or Airflow ???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Oasis, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Ok i just found out that i require more salt then the Tornado can handle so my dealer says i need to go with either the Fisher 8' steel or the Airflow twin electric chain driven system. Please I need help with this choice...... Thanks

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

How much salt do you plan to spread/event?

3. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

I am probably gonna go through about 2-3 tons per night so i want to limit my refill runs....

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Im not sure I like the Tornado but 2-3 tons/ night isn't too much for one. That's 2 loads/night. It's size is perfect for you. I've heard so many bad things about that speader, but maybe it's better now. Do some searches on here for the spreaders you want, you'll find out some good information.

5. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Do you know anything about the Airflow or the Fisher.... My dealer said the chain driven system in the Airflow is actually superior to both the auger and belt systems...

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry I don't, search the Fisher or start a thread about it.

7. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

what about the airflow?

8. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

air flo has a decent spreader. we don't have many fisher users in our area.

I would recommend a stainless steel unit over mild steel if its in your budget. the mild steel units corrode away fairly quickly. our stainless units are still going strong after seven years. we had one mild steel last only about three seasons, before the bottom was rusted out beyond repair. all of the spreaders are power washed and greased/lubed after storms if that shows you the effects on the steel.

9. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Keep the info coming guys... Thanks so much :)

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Is the Fisher 8' steel a gas engine unit and the Air Flow is Electric. You are not going to get 2 tons legal in any salter in a 2500HD especially if you have the plow on. I am not saying it is not possible just not legal. I saw an 8' Monroe today with a 10.5 Briggs for $4500 installed.

11. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

How come you say that?? The specs say max payload is over 4000 lbs?

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not that worried about being legal, but when you put the salter + 4400lbs in the back of a 2500HD you really know it's there. Plus add the weight of the plow and your not stopping very fast. I think what CET is saying is your over your max GVW. Have you ever been stopped while plowing CET?

13. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Ok i see what you guys mean ... so what your saying is maximum salt i should be carying is like 1.5 ton max..???

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I would put 2 tons in, if your not plowing, just be carefull. Plus if you have a 3 ton route, two 1.5 ton loads will do everything.

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

My salt guys have never been stopped. On got stopped last year on Valentines day. I could not find my CVOR. Cop gave me a $110.00 ticket. The next morning the Region called for loader work. Guess how much their loader work went up.

16. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Is that the specs on your truck or a 2500HD? You will have to deduct for the diesel and you plow and your salter. Salters and plows are close to 800 lbs. each. I am not saying we don't do it but the MTO sat outside one of the salt depots last year. I have a 2003 gas truck with a 8'X9' steel flat deck. My GVW is 11,400. My 8' salter has 2x6 boards around the top. We are at legal limit with 2.3 metric tons of salt and over if we have the plow on.

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

When you pick me up, I'll show you the same truck as yours with the 4 yard on it. It's an 01 though. Is that cabover GMC one of Sunshine's old trucks? Nice salt shed.

19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That is one of Sunshines old trucks. It is an 2003. I bought it from RJ Trucks 2 years ago. That is one sweet salting truck even as long as it is. The guy that has that 6500 also has a 7500 with a Cat C7 Automatic with a 5.5 yard stainless steel hydraulic salter. That is the most efficient truck you can drive with a G licience.