1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher on a Wrangler/Part 2

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tvpierce, Aug 9, 2003.

1. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

I posted a couple of days ago about the install of a Fisher MM on a '94 Jeep Wrangler. Thanks again for the responses. Well, it turns out the Minute Mount that was listed in the local paper was already sold.
    So I'm exploring other options.
    There are a couple of other 6 1/2' Fisher set-ups for sale locally, and I'm wondering about adaptability.

Option-1: Fisher QS Hydrolic over Electric from a Chevy S-10

Option-2: Fisher QS (not sure if it's electic or belt driven) from a Nissan.

Of course, in either case I would need to buy the push-plates for a Jeep. Is that all, or am I overlooking something? And what do pushplates cost (ballpark)?

And given the choice between electric or belt driven, which would you choose?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Pierce

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

You could always buy the peculiar attachment kit,or have your own mount made up.The jeeps are pretty easy to make a mount for.The mount kit may run $4-500 or so.I'm not up on US pricing,so you may have to call a dealer and find out.

You may have to do the light wiring yourself,as the harness from another truck may not be plug and play.

Belt driven is much more reliable,but you have to disconnect hoses to drop to plow,and there may be cable to run into the can for the joystick control.Electric setups are easier to disconnect,and install,but you may have a few more problems with them.You also need a very healthy battery\charging system to support them.

3. DanG

DanG Senior Member

One thing i've noticed is that on most of the newer trucks there's limited space under the hood for the pump & reservoir.
    I'd look for a plow that has everything out front, pump, valve body etc..
    Newer electric ones are nice(everything comes off)
    Or even if it's a n older cable operated one it's OK if you don't mind leaving the lights/pump assembly on.

Dan

4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

tvpierce - what does QS means? All I have heard of is conventional plow and Minute Mount (also MM2) Fisher plows.

5. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I like the electric set-ups myself. Quick question, whats does Fisher QS mean? Whats the QS stand for? I never heard that said before. Mike

Steve, get out of here, this is my question! :D

6. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

You snooze, you lose. LOL Just kidding, 'ol pal buddy. :D :drinkup:

Maybe he meant QS as QuadSteer. Quad= four, and Steer= directions, so maybe he meant 4-ways plow. (Raise, lower, angle left, angle right). I know it would sound silly.

Maybe QS as Quick mount System, like the Fisher Minute Mount and MM2. Oh well we will have to wait and see what he has to say.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2003
  7. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Its ok good buddy. Im just curious what that QS means. By the way buddy, nice truck, I love the color buddy ole pal. :D Mike

8. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond -- I've been out of town.

QS = Quick Switch. It's the conventional setup where when you remove the plow, the frame and hydrolics stay on the truck. I've always referred to them as "Quick Switch" as do people around here (in Maine). In fact, that's how they're listed in the local paper too. But your responses made me question whether or not this is the official name. So I searched for "quick" and "switch" on Fisher's web site, and got nothing. So I wonder if the term "Quick Switch" is just regional slang?

Regardless, what I was refering to was a conventional set up.

Jeff Pierce

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd heard of QS

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd heard of Quick Switch as you noted. But then when this came up, I went to reply and provide a link to the Fisher site. It wasn't there:eek: . Then I couldn't remember where I'd seen it, but was sure I'd seen "Quick Switch" on the triangle of some conventional mount plows.

Now it's got me wondering and I'm going to have to pay more attention.

11. Maine Plow Man

Maine Plow Man Junior Member

QS does in fact mean Quick Switch. It is actually a very old term that Fisher used dating back to the first full hydraulic plows. Up until that point plows were manual angling - so the full hydraulic angling, or Quick Switch was considered quite revolutionary at the time.

12. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

Ok, now that we got the "QS" question out of the way -- what about fit?
    Will a belt driven pump fit under the hood of a Wrangler?
    Is instalation as easy as getting the proper push plates?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Pierce

13. wyldman

wyldman Member

You can get a special alt pulley from onboard air,which will give you an extra groove to run the pump.There is room to mount is on the pass side.If you get the right frame plates,it should be a bolt on affair.

www.onboardair.com

14. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

If their from Maine its gotta be true about that "QS" since thats the birthplace and home of Fisher Engineering. :) I think I might have seen that written in the "Plowing with the Storm" book.

Jay

15. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

If their from Maine its gotta be true about that "QS" since thats the birthplace and home of Fisher Engineering. :) I think I might have seen that written in the "Plowing with the Storm" book.

Jay

16. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Jay

17. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

The definative answer about "QS"

I was poking around the Fisher web site last night and stumbled upon this in the "Company" - "History" section:

"The use of underhood hydraulics would be further refined in the 60s. First power angling was added, which enabled the operator to angle the plow from inside the cab of the truck. Initially accomplished with one double acting cylinder, the “Quick-Switch” plows would add a second angling cylinder in 1964"

Here's the link if anyone's interested: http://www.fisherplows.com/history.asp?subpage=60s

I thought it was interesting -- but I'm a self-professed plow geek.

Jeff Pierce

18. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Jay we got the message 3 times:rolleyes: and yes it was in Plowing With The Storm

19. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Whoops I have no clue what happened sorry guys. Moderator please remove two of them LOL.

Jay