1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Model G

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Adirondacker, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Adirondacker

Adirondacker Junior Member

Does anyone know where I might find operating or service info on a Fisher Model G?

Fisher Tech Support says it's too old for them to have anything on it.

I primarily need to know if the pump needs draining and has filters. It's a pulley pump. Also looking for how to test the control valve. The plow sags driving down th eroad and I don't see any signs of fluid leakage anywhere. Bought this used to just do my 300 ft. driveway and my daughter's next door, but would like to tune her up!

Dave U.
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I don't know about a manual.

I do know that you should drain the fluid every year. If there is a filter it is likely to be inline on the return hose. Usually it is a small auto transmission filter.

As for the valve it is likely that it needs to be adjusted. If it is not returning to the center it will bleed fluid off.
  3. Adirondacker

Thanks for the info.

Regarding the valve, is there a general procedure for adjusting them?

I see a recessed hex screw that looks like a bleed screw. I assume that should be left alone unless there is reason to believe the valve is airbound.

So the adjustments would be right at the cable to valve interfaces?

Appreciate the help, this is my first experience with plows, but I've been a mechanic in a past life.

Dave U.
  4. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

If I remember right that hex bolt is to adjust pressure, which make the blade go up and down faster.
  5. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

My suggestion would be to talk to Chuck Smith, he is the expert when it comes to plow maintenance. Chuck posts here all the time, so try sending him a private message.

You can also click on the logo ( link) for the Snowplowing Contractor's page at the top of this page. Thats Chuck's web page and he has extensive information on draining plow pumps.
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Most likely you need to adjust where the cable meets the valve. Usually this is a joint with a threaded rod. By adjusting you can get the valve to center and close so that the plow won't drop. If any of the valves are just a little open it can lead to the plow creeping.

You do have a single joystick cable control? Of so loosen the jam nuts on the rod and detach the cable. The valave should return to center and the plow should not move. Set the cable so that the vlave will center but still open fully to both raise and lower or angle the blade, depending on the valve. This will give you the best performance. The old valve bodies can be a bit tempermental but once you get them working they are very smooth.

If the valve is sticking it may need to have a seal replace or need rebuilding.
  7. Adirondacker

Thanks for all the tips guys, I'll try tweaking the valve after replacing the fluid. Oh yeah, and when I get that 10 year old broken plug out of the cylinder head on the truck!!!

Whoever had this old '78 Chevy K20-350 did not take very good care of her. A lot of penetrant, a mini-torch and an EZout and hopefully the remnants of that plug come out without falling into the cylinder first!!

Dave U.