1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher model 1000 or 2000

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by xc23, Oct 3, 2007.

1. xc23

xc23 Member

I am debating on which model to buy . I am also not sure if either will do what i want , no dealer around can answer my question's. I want to keep my tounno cover on the truck to protect the extra bagged salt, I don't know if the swing away mount will allow me to keep the tounno cover in place, and Ounce I swing th salter away can I open the tail gate to access the extra salt. . 2nd I also tow a trailer on the weekends and I want to be able to remove the unit quickly when not in use . Can anyone tell me how easily thy remove from the truck.Any help will be appreciated.

2. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

I think the only difference is the 2000 has the third brake light mounted in it. With the swing away mount your top mount bolts to your bed sides and they are roughly 12 inches long. I originally had the swing away mount and went to the hitch mount.The swing away was nice for a heavy snowblower, but I went to a toro single stage, only 38 pounds.Why not just load your salt and tarp it, I personally think removing the truck cover would be a real pain to keep moving, plus when you start getting busy, you will need alot of stacking room with bags.With my hitch mount now when I do load bags I just stack over the bedsides, when I load the spreader I climb up on the bumper and step in the bed. Also I have the Fisher 1000, I started using bulk magic salt and added a vibrator kit ( see bob church here), You might even consider the sportscasters too for hopper capacity for close to the same money. Pop for the variable speed control to. And Fisher in my area has great support. Hope this helps if not pm for phone number.

3. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

Oops, forgot to mention, pretty much a 2 man operation with the swing away mount, and no you cannot pull a trailer with the spreader on.

4. xc23

xc23 Member

Thanks for the info .Still one question .Can I run with my tounno cover in place or will it effect the mounting hardware

5. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

I think it will, the top mount is at least 12 inches long on each side of the bed rail. I personally would go with the hitch mount, I built a stand with wheels and was able to roll it up to the hitch myself and mount it by myself. You will also have to drill holes in the top of your bed rails and your bumper.