1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher MMII Problems

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by jhrobert, Jan 20, 2010.

1. jhrobert

jhrobert Junior Member
    from Ma.

Today I was out plowing when the three wire plug that operates the control valves unplugged. I tried to lift my plow and nothing happened. I tried to angle it and the same thing happened. I found the unplugged wire and plugged it back in. My plow still does not go up or angle now. Fortunately for me I was at home when this happened and just backed into my driveway witht he plow down. The starter motor does spin on the Insta Pack unit. I can hear it running but none of the hydraulics are working. This is the Insta Pack system that is attached to the plow setup. I did pull the starter motor off the top of the pump to see if the slot on the motor or pump had been sheared off. They are both intact. Can someone tell me where to look next? Did the pump shaft itself shear off down inside? Has anyone else had this problem? I also unscrewed the hydraulic hoses just in case it was pressure bound. That didn't help either. TIA for any help.

2. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

did you check the fuse? and are the wires on the motor put back corectly.. and if the plug just came apart.. a bad conection?...

3. jhrobert

jhrobert Junior Member
    from Ma.

The fuse is fine. I have juice at the connector wires and wiggled the connector while someone else tried to make the plow work. The plow pump sounds like the motor is just free spinning without any pressure on it. The resevoir is full of fluid. I'm thinking that something must have sheared off inside the unit.

4. plowinginma

from MA

Did the pick up tube fall off??

5. jhrobert

jhrobert Junior Member
    from Ma.

Hmmm, Now that is an interesting thought. I guess I will have to pull the unit to find that out.

6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Did you pull the cartridge valve cover to inspect the where the wires connect to the cartridge coils?

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

You also should check you connectors for loose or broken pins. Supply 12v to the # 3 Terminal on the PLOW side control harness while a helper hits the raise function on the controller....Make sure the truck is in the on position if not running. Does it raise?

re.JPG

View attachment 70931

re.JPG

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  8. jhrobert

jhrobert Junior Member
    from Ma.

Thanks for the schematics. My wires did not pull out from the coils. They are all attached.

9. jhrobert

jhrobert Junior Member
    from Ma.

I will try that in the morning to see if it works. It is dark out now. Just from the sound of the pump it sure sounds like something broke. It doesn't make that straining sound when you are trying to angle the blade and it can't move because snow is holding it or when you use the plow to push you back out of a drift after getting stuck.

10. plowinginma

from MA

you can check the pick up tube.. with a screw stick through the fill plug.. swish it around and it should hit it... (no light required)... to perform a scat test all ya need is the same screw stick to see if the coils are magnetized.. it will quickly put you in the right direction..

11. jhrobert

jhrobert Junior Member
    from Ma.

Now that is a great idea. It sure will beat the heck out of removing the entire unit to check the tube. I will do that tomorrow mornig. I already had a long day today and do not want to go back outside this evening.

12. plowinginma

from MA

LOL I could not sleep with out knowing ..

13. jhrobert

jhrobert Junior Member
    from Ma.

Ten years ago I would have done the same. Now I can wait to fix it.

14. Boomdog

Boomdog Junior Member

This sounds Very similar to what Im going through now..... The plow will go up about 3 inches after fooling with controller a bit. I was told it was probably a bad connection. I checked all connections, cleaned and regreased. Still having same problem. Ill let you know if I find anything out. Mine has been hestating here and there untill the otherday when it stopped totally.

15. jhrobert

jhrobert Junior Member
    from Ma.

Your problem sure sounds like a bad connection. My plow setup has worked fine until today when the wires unplugged for the coils. Hopefully tomorrow I can figure out what happened. There is more snow on the way.

16. plowinginma

from MA

If any of the MA boys need help with the plow.. let me know.. I am in grafton...

17. jhrobert

jhrobert Junior Member
    from Ma.

Thanks for the offer. I'll be ripping into mine today one way or another. I'm located in Paxton.

18. jhrobert

jhrobert Junior Member
    from Ma.

The pickup tube got blown off. I can only assume that running the pump with the coils unplugged is what caused this to happen. The plow is working like it should now. Tearing it all apart gave me a chance to grease up everything. Thanks for the info. Now we wait for this weekends storm to come. ussmileyflagussmileyflagussmileyflag