1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher MM2 Worn Step Pin??

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by NorEasterMA, Feb 17, 2016.

1. NorEasterMA

NorEasterMA Junior Member

Hello to all, how is everyone doing?

I'm new to this forum, but I've been directed here by friends and the fine folks over at FTE.

Long story short, I've got a new-to-me Fisher MM2, 8' straight blade on my 2006 F250. Unsure of the build date, but it's in good shape apart from a little surface rust and paint flaking on the headgear. However, I noticed when it was on the truck (and raised), there was a great deal of play in the blade and A-Frame at the point that it connects to the headgear. I replaced the step-pins, and they were worn, but I feel as though it didn't take the slop out entirely. So unfortunately I'm concerned that the holes on the headgear and/or A-Frame are worn and enlarged. Unsure if this is accurate as I haven't torn it apart to measure the holes, however it's my best guess because there is side-to-side and up-and-down play. Not a huge amount, but enough that I definitely feel it moving around while I'm driving and hit a bump. I plan to try and change to the middle of the three holes, but does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this?

Was considering machining a hardened pin that is just proud of 1" and does not taper down to 3/4", I feel as though that would definitely take the slop out, but is this safe?

I believe I'm fairly mechanically inclined and I've been doing my research and learning as much about the Fisher mechanics as I can, but this is mostly still new to me. Thanks guys!
  2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Totally normal for the plow to have some play.
  3. NorEasterMA

NorEasterMA Junior Member

While I am somewhat new to Fisher's (most of my previous experience was with Boss plows), I've compared my plow to a few other MM2's and found them to have less play at this pivot point than mine. Perhaps (I hope) I am overthinking it, but I would rather question it now and feel silly for it being a non-issue than ignore it and perhaps have something fail! Thanks for this advice though, it definitely eases my mind.