1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher MM2 will not operate, troubleshooting questions?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mainer0311, Dec 30, 2013.

1. mainer0311

mainer0311 Junior Member

I have a MM2 on a 03 chevy 2500 8.1. I hooked it up and get nothing. The 6 pin connector to the joystick has ground but no power. The red cable from the trucks fuse box has 12v power to where it disappears into Fisher’s harness. Both the fuses look fine, but I did not test resistance across them.

From the picture below:
    I have 12v between the red wire with duct tape and ground, that connects directly to the battery.
    I have ground at the brown wire.
    If I jump 12v to the black/red wire nothing happens, no click or pulling in of the relay.
    If I jump 12v to the red/green wire the plow works as normal. The red light on the control box comes on and the joystick moves the plow as it should.

Does anybody have any suggestions? On what to try next? Or what to replace?
  2. That is one ugly solenoid. I don't think you have it wired properly.
  3. atrinh15

atrinh15 Junior Member

First did this plow work with this setup before? Or did you just install it? It looks like you have the red small lead on the solenoid on the wrong side. But that solenoid is not like the one fisher issues with there wiring harness. If I am right than you dont have any power in the cab even if you are hooked up. That red wire needs constant power which is from your battery side.
  4. mainer0311

mainer0311 Junior Member

ok, should the red wire with the duct tape (from the batttery) be connected to the same stud that the red/green wire is connect to?

Last spring I disconnected the red wire(to the battery) because of a battery draining issue. I wrote on the ductape where it was to be hooked up, but was unable to read it this fall.

The only wire I changed was the large red wire to the battery. If i were to buy the fisher relay how would I hook it up?

Mounted on the inner fender is the fisher relay but I assume the PO replaced it with this one for a reason. I could pick up and install the Fisher relay if that would solve the problem.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

First off I have never seen a solenoid with that many posts. I will start by suggesting you get a proper plow solenoid. Now that red with green wire is what feeds power into the plow system. It should be on the same terminal as the large re wire that comes from the battery but not on same terminal with the brown wire. The brown is signal wire for the solenoid. ANd black with orange is the ground.
  6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'd agree with getting a new solenoid first. 4 post western or fisher is just fine.
  7. kimber750

I would also suggest bolting the solenoid in place. If that thing moves and the hot wire touches any metal you will have big problems. This is type of thing that could burn your truck to the ground.
  8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Also that duct taped wire should get some attention as well. Not to nit pick
  9. mainer0311

mainer0311 Junior Member

If I get a solenoid like the one linked how do I hook it up?

Red wire from batter and red/green control wire to one of the large lugs on top.
    Red wire to the pump on the other.
    Brown wire to ground.
    Black/orange to one of the smaller terminals. But which one? Does it matter?

My picture can be deceiving. The brown wire goes the mount for the solenoid, ground. I think, but am not sure, that the black/orange is the signal.
  10. kimber750

Black is ground on MM2. Still I suggest buying an actual plow solenoid since most aftermarket ones do not hold up.

29206.09_050111.pdf (application-pdf Object)_1323228608298.jpg
  11. mainer0311

mainer0311 Junior Member

Thanks for the drawing and thanks for the help.
  12. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Yes...x2 on buying a fisher solenoid... They are only 15$ and are correct for the application.