1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher MM2 oil pick up fix, don't get stranded..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Hellbent.HD, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Hellbent.HD

Hellbent.HD Member

Hi guy's. I just figured i'd post this little bit of info in case any of you are having a similar problem.
    Two days ago i was finishing up my route, and on the last pass my plow stopped working.
    The motor was working, but i lost my hydraulic's.
    My plow is 2 years old, and am religious about maintanence.

I bought some new fliud, and a screen for the oil pump pick up and dropped the tank.
    The pick up tube fell out of the pump and was sitting at the bottom of the tank. The pump couldn't get fluid, and left me right there! Luckily i was at work when it happened...

I Put the pick up back in and did the fluid service like normal. Today...it did it again..
    Again, very lucky i had just finished my route!!

I called a friend that works at a local Fisher dealer and he told me that many of the 'V' plows and a few of the straight blades have run into this.
    Fisher just released a small bracket that locks the pick up to the pump, and this place just recieved them at the begining of the week.

i picked one up and problem solved.

This is a VERY easy fix to a problem that can leave you in some deep *#@! if your out in the middle of the night working.

I guess many of the new plows have them installed from the factory, but the 'old' ones could have this problem.

Sorry for the story, i just wanted to pass this on.
    Hope it helps someone out before they get stranded..

Last edited: Jan 16, 2004

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Tony, great information is what I love best about this site! It's guys giving info to everone that keeps us all working! Thanks for the tip!:salute:
  3. Hellbent.HD

Hellbent.HD Member

No problem at all. The way i figure, if the info i have can help one guy out of a jam, or prevent it all together, than it was worth the time.
    What goes around comes around.

4. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

That happened to me last week. Luckly, my dealer took me right in and did the recall on it (lost 1 hour, no biggie). The next day the did the other plow also. My dealer said what others say that it falls off and doesn't move. They did make it to stay on now. Get yours checked out also.

5. Hellbent.HD

Hellbent.HD Member

Are they considering it a 're-call' then?
    Or are they charging if your plow is out of warranty?
    I do all my own work, and mine is out of warranty anyway, so i didn't even ask if it was covered or not.

just wondering.

6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GUYS...This is not a new problem.

Western has the SAME deal with the fluid pickup tube
    falling off. There is a service bulletin out and a newer
    design clamp assy. for Fisher and Western............geo
  7. Hellbent.HD

Hellbent.HD Member

Well, it's a new one for me thats for sure, and i'm sure i'm not the only one who didn't know.
    Thanks for the service bulletin info. I should keep up on this stuff a little better.
  8. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GUYS........Heres another juicy tidbit.........

If you have a Fishstick or Cab Command controller.
    Did you ever wonder why NO inline fuse ?

Thats because the fuse is INSIDE the controller itself !

Make sure you carry extra SFE-6 glass tube fuses and a
    small phillips screwdriver................geo
  9. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

My dealer did it and did not charge me was under warranty.
  10. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Fisher hyd pickup tube dropped out this week

Well, it just happened to me on my 1st Res. drive this week's storm. I was stranded. My dealer did fix it with the fisher add on bracket but with travel time it took 3 hrs. My Res. customers were non to happy at my tardiness. The timing couldn't have been worse.

What kills me is that I was just in the plow shop diagnosing another problem 4 wks ago. Shouldn't he have fixed it before I got stranded? I call the dealer and he knew within 10 sec. what the problem was. This dealer has always come through eventually but I would think Fisher would notify them of units affected etc to avoid this ridiculous situation. I blame Fisher more than the Dealer.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  11. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Dont blame fisher or western, they sent out service bulletins to all the dealers with info listing what pumps were affected. The first service bulletin came out December of 03 (westerns service bulletin number was SP-769), I know western also released a 2nd bulletin in march of 04 (bulletin # SP-771) That stated "If you have a flostat unit that has a number lower than the first for digits of (0351), then a retainer clip must be installed."

This was covered as a "warranty" issue at no charge to customer, if your plow is out of warranty, i belive it will still be covered if it falls under the prodution number.

The problem with the dealer may be that they do not share or pass on any service bulletins to the techs. If the techs dont know there is a problem or service bulletin they cant really fix the problem when it comes in for a annual service unless the service writer tells them.
  12. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

My Fisher dealer is so small, he is the Tech. It is all he does. He had the whole thing apart a month ago looking for a metal chip that would explain another malfunction.( turned out to be the Fishstick) He sold me the X-Blade unit 01/04. I guess he should have known to put the bracket on last month, but spaced it. It just didn't make my day, that's all. He has been very professional throughout as far as fixing everything under warranty. He has not glossed over the problems; which is a pet peeve of mine. My visits for malfunction total 3 so far. Eating up about 8 hrs of my time.

Still not as bad as my 04 Chevy.
  13. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Its easy for a tech to "space it", have done it several times myself but i'm lucky enough to have a few other good techs that i also work with who will walk by a beat me back into reality. Its hard keeping up with some of the service bulletins that come out and what units and what build dates it goes with.

Be glad that you have a tech who gives you personal and professional service with out the gloss job, we try to keep the same techs on trucks that they have worked on before to build a reputation with the customer and it keeps it a lot easier to remember who did what to it the last time it was in the shop.

If you want to get the "really great service" where he will slid you in before someone else, try showing up with donuts in the morning or a pizza for lunch on a day when you dont need service. We have a few customers who do that and the boss always gets their trucks right in.