1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher MM2 & Fish-Stik questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rtm038, Dec 10, 2003.

1. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Hello all,
    I bought a brand new MM2 w/ the joystick controller last December and had it professionally installed on my 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 the plow performed flawlessly all last winter. I have since sold that truck and transfered the plow to my new 2004 Dodge Ram 3500. Well, I went out the other day to plow a few driveways and I happened to notice 3 things which I think are a problem.

Blade movements:
    1. From time to time, when I angle to the right, the solenoid valve seems to be either stay open or the Fish-Stik controller is not "telling" it close when I take my finger off the "Right" button. Either way, the blade is able to float completely to the right. Any ideas on what the problem is here?

Fish-Stik controller:
    1. The Fish-Stik operator's manual states that the controller will automatically shut off if left idle for more than 20 minutes. Mine stays on till I either shut off the truck or hit the power button. Again, any ideas? I originally bought the plow with the joystick controller, but found a great deal on a Fish-Stik on eBay last spring, so I grabbed it. It was brand new in the box, but I'm sure what exact year it was made. The cable/cord has a label staying the unit is a Rev#9 and my original joystick has a Rev#5 label. Based on the 2 different Rev#s, is it possible the Fish-Stik controller may not be compatible with my 1 year old MM2.

2. The operator's manual also states that the controller is designed to provide a "smooth" stop. I'm not sure if this feature is enabled/working with my unit when you press the "Lower" button. When you let go of the "Lower" button on my controller, the plow immediately stops lowering. Nothing "smooth" about it.

Could all the problems that I've listed above be caused by some type compatibility issue between the Rev#9 Fish-Stik controller and the plow itself? Any help would be great.

Thanks
    Ryan

2. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

Everything you have stated is normal other than the blade wanting to float all the way to the right. It sounds like maybe your S2 cart is hanging open for a second before closing. When you let the button go does the motor stop running as the blade keeps coasting? Although you did not state if you waited the whole 20 minutes or not the control should shut off. We have what is called a soft stop built into the fishstik. This allows the motor relay to shutoff prior to the valves so that the blade can coast to a stop. With our joystick when you let go of the lever that blade stops immediately, sometimes shaking the truck a little. It is more of a user preference as some like the soft stop where as others like the joystick as it helps shake the snow off of the blade. Also the fishstik is designed to stop lowering when you let go of the button. Hold it for 2 seconds to go into float or drop all the way. All of the rev are compatible for either of our wiring systems and mounting systems. Hope this answered everything.

3. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Yup, the motor does shut-off after releasing the right angle button, so maybe the S2 valve is hanging up. I'll have to do a valve test and see if that's the problem. In regards to the automatic shut-off, I have waited more than 30 minutes and it is doesn't shut off. What do you think could be causing this problem? I was wondering if the configuration plug could be involved. When I transfered the wiring from the 2001 to the 2004, I reconfigured the headlight harnesses to work to work with the 2004's 9007 bulbs (2001 used 9004 bulbs). However, when I wired the truck, the driver side low beam (truck or plow) wouldn't work. I consulted the manual and it said if this happens, reverse the configuration plug set-up. So I looked at the plug and found it to be set up for a "Positive" common, changed it to a "Negative" common and now all the lights work. Does this configuration plug have any effect on the hydraulics or hydraulic controls?
    With regards to the soft stop feature, I have noticed that the blade will coast to a stop when angling right or left, so I assume that this is the "soft stop" feature Fisher is talking about. Is this feature not enabled on the "Lower/Float" function? Lastly, you mention depressing the "Lower" button for 2 seconds will activate the "Float" feature. This is how mine operates, but the Fish-Stik operator's manual stays that you need only depress the button for .75 seconds.

Well, I really appreciate your time and help here. Hopefully you can answer my newest questions.

Thanks again,
    Ryan

4. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

To start the configuration plug has nothing to do with the hyd.

The actual time probably varies a little. We can meet in the middle a 1 second.

I am a little confused on the drop issue. Do you want the blade to drop all the way with a touch? The motor is not activated on the drop feature so i guess you could say it is not enabled. Most of the feedback we got they wanted to have more control over dropping the blade that is why we have that feature built in. As far as the control not shutting off i have no explanation other than there must be something wrong on the board as it should shut off after 20 minutes. I hope i answered everything the way you wanted.If you have any other question don't hesitate to ask. Happy plowingpayup payup payup

5. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

I figured that the configuration plug had nothing to do with the hydraulics.

Yup, when I speak about the dropping of the blade, I would like it drop with 1 touch of the button. Kind of how the joystick works. No big deal that it doesn't. If it really becomes something I want to correct, I can always install my joystick controller.

Thanks for all your help with these questions. Happy plowing to you too:) :) .

Ryan

6. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

I have had the exact same issue with my MM2 and FStick, Since new, when angling right it doesn't seem to stop well. With an snow load on if I try to vary the angle towrd the right a little she goes all the way to the stops. Not so to the left. When I relase the button it stops well. My dealer and I went through this last year and it is still present. Yesterday he suggested I try a joystick, It is a much more firm stop all around, but it still is noticably softer going right. Plus, I like being able to drop the plow a bit at a time vice the joystick dropping all the way. Makes transporting easier if I can vary height with road condisiotns. Haven't had a chance to plow ith it yet, but I am interested to see what happens. Any help?

Thanks, Pete

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i just like to stick to sime joy stick controls my self

8. Cobol Dude

Cobol Dude Junior Member

Hi Simmons156;

Thanks for all your awesome help. I have a minute mount 2 and if I could just change one thing would be to have the jack be hydraulic or at least adjustable while fully loaded.
    Last friday I brought my brand new fisher plow home and wanted to leave it off the truck while I break-in the truck. After I disconnected the plow, the air dam got caught on the plow frame so I needed to lower the plow a little to free it. I thought I could lower the plow jack to the next hole. All I managed to do was have the plow frame hit the floor. That is going to be a challenge getting the plow frame to mate up to the truck. The dealer was nice enough to show me how to connect the plow before I left the dealership but like I said the air dam hitting the frame was a new problem. I believe my driveway is a little off so I won't leave my plow in that spot anymore, but being able to have an adjustable jack on the plow would be awesome.
    Just a thought
    Take care